Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Compressing HTML file and twiner file into a ZIP file/folder?

I just finished writing my first twiner story with Twiner 1 and I have no clue how to copy them.

I'm using a Macbook Pro.

Does anyone know how I'm supposed to make copies of both my workspace file, and the html story file itself, and put them in a zip file together?

I need to know how to do this so I can send them to a publisher.

Also the publisher does anonymous readings and says I have to remove all labels from the files and the work. I don't have my name in the files, but the HTML file when I open it it shows my name in the link, because its stored in a folder on my computer. Does anyone have any clue how I could remove my name from it, or does the name not show up when someone else is opening the file on their computer?

I apologize for not being very tech savvy.

Comments

• I have been using a computer since the late 1980's and still have much to learn as computing is always in a state of metamorphosis. I am not a Macbook Pro user, so take this with a grain of salt.

I believe you can get winzip for your system at https://winzip.com/mac/en/index.htm

There should be a how to install and use instruction, connected to the download page.

In windows, it is just selecting and choosing from your mouse menu that you want to "zip" it. I am sure it is very similar, although maybe different keys, to do the same for Mac.

It seems more than a little bit odd to me that anyone would ask you to remove all authoritative labels from your story. Personally, I wouldn't. YMMV

Love and Peace

• On Window I would move my project folder from the User related parent folder to one I created on the root of my hard-drive, thus removing the username from the file-path in the link. I don't have a mac but I believe you can do something similar.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    On Window I would move my project folder from the User related parent folder to one I created on the root of my hard-drive, thus removing the username from the file-path in the link. I don't have a mac but I believe you can do something similar.

I did this, and it did remove the username file-path in the link, thank you.

I also figured out how to compress my twiner files, at least for Twine 1.4

I recently downloaded Twine 2 and am not exactly sure how its files work since it says it saves them all in my browser, or whatever.
  • AbramFrost wrote: »
    I recently downloaded Twine 2...
    It depends on which release of the Twine 2 application you downloaded.

1. The install-able application release: (eg. in your case the file named twine_2.1.1_osx.zip)

This release saves your Story Projects as files in a folder on your hard-drive, the location of this folder can be determined via Twine > Show Library menu items.

warning: That folder is for internal use only, do not save the story HTML files you create via the Publish to File into it!

2. The downloadable web-browser release: (eg. the file named twine_2.1.1.zip)

This release is a local copy of the release available via the Use it online link, it saves your story projects with your web-browser's Local Storage cache.
  • So I'm having problems with making zip files again. I just received an email from the publisher that the files I sent in the zip were alias files which they could not open???

This is extremely frustrating, because I keep trying to figure out how to save and build it so that my username isn't in the html codes file.
    So I'm having problems with making zip files again. I just received an email from the publisher that the files I sent in the zip were alias files which they could not open???
    Would you be willing to make the ZIP archive file available to me so what I can see exactly what your sending them, and to examine the files to determine what references they may be talking about. If you are willing then simply upload the ZIP archive file to a file hosting service (MEGA, Dropbox, Google-drive, etc...) of your choices and PM me the link.

note: I am surprised that they also want a copy of your work-space file (I am assuming you mean the story-project TWS file) because that can be simple recreated by importing the story HTML file (what you are calling your HTML codes file) into the Twine application.
    […] I just received an email from the publisher that the files I sent in the zip were alias files which they could not open???
    Since you're using macOS, they may have meant that you archived soft links to the files, rather than the files themselves.