Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

comment system

So I've been thinking about this for a bit, and I think it'd be interesting to have a sort of integrated and embedded comment system in my game, at the end of every chapter. On one hand, I feel like engaging discussion while its fresh is always fun, and on the other, it'll give me a pretty effective window into what people are thinking about as they play.

I have two general questions:

1. For all you guys: would something like that detract from the experience for you? It will be optional via settings, but if it's the kind of thing no one would use, then it's probably not worth the hassle. Again, it would appear only in chapter end screens, not all over the place, and ideally each chapter would have a separate chat, so spoilers shouldn't be too big a concern.

I'm just looking for general thoughts. If you're interested in using something similar, I'll post some code if I wind up implementing it successfully.

2. To anyone experienced in third party comment systems, which would you recommend? I know Disqus is essentially the go to, and I'm leaning toward that, but are there better free/cheap options out there that a cursory web search wouldn't bring me to?

Comments

• The marketing side of me approves.
    The player part of me would find it a mild nuisance.

That said, if I really like a game, I wouldn't care, and seize on it as a place to gush.

Guess it depends how much self-aggrandizement *coughcough* I mean constructive feedback you're after as an author, as well. :3
  • You may want to think about using a system that does not require the end-user supplying their third-party identity (facebook, google, etc...) when making comments, nor one that requires the end-user to have an account with the said system. Because not everyone will be willing/able to do either, and therefore you could miss out on meaningful and informative comments.
  • I think that would be pretty fascinating, although a link to a more stable external site/chat (like a Discord for the entire project) would be useful alongside the live chat. I'm absolutely one of those people who, after finishing a game/movie, immediately goes to find others' comments online about it and compare their reactions to mine, so I would welcome it.

Can't emphasize greyelf's point enough though. Something low-key, perhaps IRC-esque, where you can simply type in a nickname would be preferable --- if the reader is highly committed, then s/he can follow through to a Discord or website.
  • edited April 2017
    DairynGM wrote: »
    The marketing side of me approves.
    The player part of me would find it a mild nuisance.

That said, if I really like a game, I wouldn't care, and seize on it as a place to gush.

Guess it depends how much self-aggrandizement *coughcough* I mean constructive feedback you're after as an author, as well. :3

It's definitely nice to hear nice things and I certainly hope for some gushing so I can validate all the time I'm throwing into this, but I've been a professional writer long enough now that I'd like to believe I get more use out of balanced (or even negative) criticism than blind praise.

I think it'll have value for me mostly in that it'll provide feedback on things I wouldn't think to ask about on my own, and I hope it will be great for players to be able to type in knee-jerk reactions, bitch about that last boss fight, and see what sorts of decisions others have made. And if the story is good enough, maybe it'll even have that "I must talk to someone about this now" quality too (here's hoping). I think it'll also mesh nicely with some of the story's themes, though not in a direct enough way that would justify it for that reason alone.

I got massively sidetracked, but the point is, I hope it doesn't turn into user reviews, even if they're really flattering ones.
    greyelf wrote: »
    You may want to think about using a system that does not require the end-user supplying their third-party identity (facebook, google, etc...) when making comments, nor one that requires the end-user to have an account with the said system. Because not everyone will be willing/able to do either, and therefore you could miss out on meaningful and informative comments.

That's definitely a good point, I'll prioritize systems that allow for anonymity. Disqus does, but makes it harder to use (an extra click or two). Thanks for the input.
    litrouke wrote: »
    I think that would be pretty fascinating, although a link to a more stable external site/chat (like a Discord for the entire project) would be useful alongside the live chat. I'm absolutely one of those people who, after finishing a game/movie, immediately goes to find others' comments online about it and compare their reactions to mine, so I would welcome it.

I do the same thing, haha. I want the comment/chat system to be available outside the game, too, so people are able to carry on a conversation or make replies/edits without replaying the game up to that point.

I don't know if the game is good enough/will generate enough interest to warrant a larger discussion system like the ones you mentioned, but it's probably a good idea to plan for that now so I can integrate it later, no matter how optimistic.