Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No 'Back' or 'forward' buttons when using IE

Hello,
I am using Harlowe 1.2.4 and have noticed if I use IE, I no longer see a back or forward arrow on each passage. When I open the same html file within Chrome I see the back and forward arrows.

Does anyone know why they would not be visible in IE? and is there anyway to make them show up?

Comments

• I tested a basic two Passage story HTML file using Internet Explorer 11.0.41 on Window 10 and was able to see the Undo and Redo links in the sidebar area.

Which operating system (version, edition, 32/64bit) are you running?

Which version of IE (version, 32/64bit) are you using?
  • Windows 7 , SP1 64 bit
    i'm using ie 11 (11.0.9600.18314).

I've tested this one 4 other machines, and all users are reporting now visible buttons.

Is the sidebar visible by default? or do I need to enter some sort of coding to make it appear? it seems to be when I use chrome.
  • that should read " non-visable buttons". All 4 machines running IE doesnt see any buttons. If they run the file in Chrome, its fine.
  • edited May 2017
    Is the sidebar visible by default?
    The 'sidebar area' is just the blank area created by the left margin of tw-story element, which is the element that contains the output of your story.

The Undo and Redo links are created and positioned on top of that blank area each time a Passage is displayed to the Reader and each link becomes 'visible' as needed, so neither are visible when the story first starts, the Undo link becomes 'visible' once the Reader has traversed off the first passage, and the Redo link becomes 'visible' after the Undo link is selected.

If you use your web-browser's Developer Tool to 'Inspect' the dynamically generated HTML you should be able to find HTML elements that look like the following:
    <tw-sidebar>
    <tw-icon tabindex="0" class="undo" title="Undo" style="visibility: hidden;">↶</tw-icon>
    <tw-icon tabindex="0" class="redo" title="Redo" style="visibility: hidden;">↷</tw-icon>
    </tw-sidebar>

... the tw-icon element's style visibility attribute is set to the relevant value as needed.

I don't have access to a Windows 7 machine to debug this issue.
  • I was able to inspect the HTML, and found this:
    <tw-sidebar>
    <tw-icon tabindex="0" class="undo" title="Undo" style="visibility: hidden;">↶</tw-icon>
    <tw-icon tabindex="0" class="redo" title="Redo" style="visibility: hidden;">↷</tw-icon>
    </tw-sidebar></style><script role="script" id="twine-user-script" type="text/twine-javascript">if (typeof window.customScripts == "undefined") {
    window.customScripts = {
    submitName: function(inputName) {
    //Get the value of the textbox at time of click
    var newName = $("input[name=" + inputName + "]")[0].value;
    //Find the hook node based on name and set the text inside
    $("tw-hook[name*=" + inputName + "]").text(newName);
    //Log the Change
    console.log(inputName + " changed.")
    }
    };
    };
  • Please use the code tag when posting examples - it's the C on the editor bar.

Your example shows that either:

A. the tw-sidebar related elements are embedded withing the story format's style related element, which is unusual to say the least.

B. You have added the code that starts with </style> to either a header tagged passage or to one of your stories Passages.

Would it be possible to obtain a copy of your story project to debug?

If so and it is not already available online then could you upload a copy of your story HTML file to a file hosting site o your choice (eg MEGA, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc...) and the Personal Message me a link to it.