Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[SOLVED] Impossible to export stories on a Mac

edited March 2015 in Help! with 2.0
Hi.
I thought my issue was pretty common, but I made a search on the forum and could not find any useful answer.
So here's the problem : 2 people have written stories and want to send them to me in order for me to test them and check out their structures.
They use Mac computers, and the default theme, but when they try to use the "Publish to file" option in the story menu, instead of getting a downloaded .html, their browser opens up a new tab and displays what seems to be HTML code (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=258527unnamed.png). But when I try to paste this code in a document and open the doc with a browser, that doesn't work. Here's a pastebin link for the code : http://pastebin.com/piWMZfFd#
hey also get the same issue when thay try to use the "archive" function : no .html doc, but a new tab with code that doesn't work once put in a file (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=986488failedarchive.png)
Any help welcome !

Comments

• It's not a Macintosh issue, it's a Safari browser issue.  Anyway, once the new tab is open, they should be able to save the open document (not by copy & paste, just save it).

As to why you're running into issues with copy & paste, my off-the-cuff guess would either be that you're not getting the entire document or, more likely, differing character encodings.
  • Sorry but I don't have a Mac.

I copied the contents of your pastebin (all 216 lines) into a file I named les_contes.html and I was able to view it successfully in both Firefox and Chrome, I only looked at the first five passages as I don't read French. *smile*
    I was also able to successfully Import the les_contes.html file into Twine 2.

note: When you say "the default theme", you actually mean "the default Story Format" (Harlowe) because besides defining the default look of a story, the story format also defines things like the format of the macros, what macros/functionality are/is available to the Author, and the structure of the HTML generated.
  • Thanks a lot to both of you for your answers ! But I still have an issue  :'(
    @TheMadExile: I must admit I don't know how to save a single tab's content into a document. Could you by any chance walk me through the process?
    @greyelf: when I do what you did, I get this .html doc : http://www.filedropper.com/lescontes , and when I try to open it or import it, neither of that works. Any idea why?

And thanks for the story format differences explanation. Is there a SF in Twine 2 that uses the code syntax we used to use in Twine 1.4 ? Not that it bothers me that much now, because I learned the new syntax, but still...
  • [quote author=poulet_fr link=topic=2453.msg7540#msg7540 date=1425378642]
    @TheMadExile: I must admit I don't know how to save a single tab's content into a document. Could you by any chance walk me through the process?

I don't use Macs, so I'm afraid not, however, the process really should be self-explanatory.  Under Safari's File menu (Fichier) there should be menu items for Save (Enregistrer) and Save As (Enregistrer sous), which should work to save the contents of the current tab to disk (the keyboard shortcut CMD+S/+s may work).  (n.b. If I've cocked up the French translations of the menu items, please pardon my mistake.)

[quote author=poulet_fr link=topic=2453.msg7540#msg7540 date=1425378642]
    when I do what you did, I get this .html doc : http://www.filedropper.com/lescontes , and when I try to open it or import it, neither of that works. Any idea why?

Now that we've a sample of what you're trying, I'll reiterate what I said previously about differing character encodings.  At some point in all the copying around, the non-ASCII (non-7bit) characters in the source are getting their encoding changed, thus destroying them.  This is similar to Mojibake.

In this case, one or more of the script components of the story format likely contain non-ASCII characters (in UTF-8, probably in a regular expression) and when they are corrupted it breaks the script, which breaks the story format and you see a blank page.

[quote author=poulet_fr link=topic=2453.msg7540#msg7540 date=1425378642]
    Is there a SF in Twine 2 that uses the code syntax we used to use in Twine 1.4 ?

SugarCube, more or less.
  • Thanks again @TheMadExile, but it seems the encoding issue you're mentionning also occurs when using the "save as" menu item(thumbs up for the french, you got it correct!). They sent me a file that was save that way, to the same result :-/
    I don't know how to fix this, especially if the bad encoding occurs when Safary exports the archive or publishes the file... Is there a way to transfer the data from Safari's local storage to Chrome's or Firefox's ?
  • The easiest thing to try would be to have them create a Twine 2 Archive again, this time using Safari's Save As menu item to save the archive.  Then have them try to import that archive into a Chrome or Firefox hosted Twine 2.  Even if doing so doesn't create a directly usable file, it might be possible to fix it.

Do you know if they're using a local copy of Twine 2 or the online version?
  • Just a quick update: I've been able to work around this issue thanks to @TheMadExile';s advice. Turns out copying/pasting the code displayed by Safari included bad html code that prevented Twine from importing the stories properly. A simple "save as source code" worked great. Sorry for the trouble, I should have tried that troughoutly before bothering you further!
    Thanks a lot, once again!