Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiple passages with the same name

Alright, so I have no clue why I'm not allowed to make more then one passage with the same name. I figure it has something to do with the codding or whatever. Basically I need a way to either override this problem or for someone to point me in the direction of a software that can perform this task.

Comments

• If you have more than one passage with the same name how would the story engine know which one to show the reader? This is why each passage has to have a unique name.

Why do you need some of your passages to have the same name?
  • greyelf wrote:

If you have more than one passage with the same name how would the story engine know which one to show the reader? This is why each passage has to have a unique name.

Why do you need some of your passages to have the same name?

Thank you for your explanation, I get why it's necessary for the engine now. The project I've been planning on requires me to have branching paths that must repeat in multiple occurrences. One path may have the exact same occurrence as another but play out differently based on the players choice. For example, let's say that you've chosen to be in the medieval age, and then must choose upon a "Power stone" you should be able to do the same in the modern era as well.
  • [quote]The project I've been planning on requires me to have branching paths that must repeat in multiple occurrences. One path may have the exact same occurrence as another but play out differently based on the players choice. For example, let's say that you've chosen to be in the medieval age, and then must choose upon a "Power stone" you should be able to do the same in the modern era as well.

Still new at this myself but can you do what you are looking for with a "display" macro? You can write one passage and display it multiple times.
  • You make a passage display different things based on a variable.

Say you have a variable named $era that can have two values (medieval and modern), and these value represent the current time period.
    If you had a passage titled Power Stone, you could test the current value of the variable and output different text based on it.

(if: $era is "medieval")[
    The multiple lines of text to display...
    ]
    (else:)[
    The multiple lines of text to display...
    ]
  • The passage name doesn't do anything except serve as an identifier.

You could just have 3 identical passages, Power Stone 1, Power Stone 2, and Power Stone 3, then refer to them all in links like this:

[[Power Stone|Power Stone 1]]

[[Power Stone|Power Stone 2]]

[[Power Stone|Power Stone 3]]

Every passage will be named as "Power Stone" in your story then.