Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How would you be able to play your Twine game on a website?

Or another way of asking it: How do you put your Twine game on a website? It's my first one so I don't know how to do it. I use Twine 1.4.2, so it's kind of hard.

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Super-simple, actually. Publish it to a file first. From the build menu, go to "Build Story".
    And then upload it to your webhost. If you don't have one, http://philome.la will host it for free.

Hope that helps!

—Sage.
  • Twine outputs an HTML file when you click "Build" in the menu bar at the top, then "Build Story."

An HTML file is a "Web page," so to speak. It's just not on the World Wide Web, yet. It's on your computer, wherever you saved it.

The World Wide Web, a.k.a., the Internet, is just a collection of networked computers, basically. You have to put your Web page where that network can find it.

That means uploading it somewhere, since you're not going to host it from your personal computer (though, that's possible).

I'd suggest www.philome.la or the IFDB, or Adventure Cow.

Hope that helps! If, after trying, you still need some more advice, let us know.

I'm going to write a short guide for this ASAP.
  • Sharpe wrote: »
    I'd suggest www.philome.la or the IFDB, or Adventure Cow.
    AFAIK, IFDB doesn't actually host the game for play. You have to have your game hosted elsewhere. Definitely a good place to list your game once it's complete and ready for play though.

Neocities is a good site for hosting, too.
  • No, you can upload your HTML game file to IFDB, and I would strongly recommend doing so when submitting it (or else, it's not really "on" IFDB).

It seems like a lot of the Twine community miss that, though, which is why I'm guessing so many Twine games on IFDB only have a link in the description, unfortunately.

To upload a game to IFDB, once logged in, click on "Add a Game Listing" under the "Contribute" section on the right, then click on the easily-missed "Upload it to the IF Archive" link toward the bottom of the page beside the "Download Links" section.
    No, you can upload your HTML game file to IFDB, and I would strongly recommend doing so when submitting it (or else, it's not really "on" IFDB).
    I completely missed that. Thanks a bunch for the info.

• I also own a few sites and will host a game for people. No charge at all. Just ask me and I will set up a free page for you. It won't even have any advertising on it. I just like helping where I can.

However

Having said that, the Philome site is amazingly simple and very diy even for a beginner.

It says "type the name here", "click the upload here".... And you're done.

Even though I own my own sites Philome methods are still even easier for a guy like me than using my own sites. I would say use them, FOR SURE.

Just my own 2-cents. Not getting paid by them in any way.
  • Dominia wrote: »
    I completely missed that. Thanks a bunch for the info.
    No problem! Like I say, it's easily missed. Poor formatting choice on IFDB, in my opinion. There are a lot of Twine games listed on IFDB that are nothing more than broken links in a description now. I've even seen ones that were linked to Dropbox, as if those would be around more than a few months.
    Sage wrote: »
    Even though I own my own sites Philome methods are still even easier for a guy like me than using my own sites.
    Honestly, me too. I also have a site, but philome.la is so quick and easy to use, that's what I do.
    ... but philome.la is so quick and easy to use, that's what I do.
    But you need a Twitter account! Boooo! *smile*

• Oh, ok. I didn't see that. Thanks!
  • OK... So I added my game to http://philome.la/ and I have used images in my Twine 2 game. All images are web based as opposed to files from my computer. When I use my game on http://philome.la/ my images are not showing up. Any idea what the problem is?
  • edited March 2016
    KBuck08 wrote: »
    Any idea what the problem is?
    Can you supply the philome link to your game so we can examine/debug it?
    All images are web based
    Do you mean:

a. You are hosting your image files on a image hosting website, if so which hosting site did you use?

b. You used a base64 encoder and embedded the generated image data into your Story project.
  • Go figure. I went to bed last night angry that my Twine 2 wasn't working like I hoped. I woke up this morning to teach myself Twine 1 to see if I had better luck. I went to get my philome link to post here and my pictures where there. Here is the link in case anyone wants to check it out. It has been developed for a Pre-K unit.
    http://philome.la/KBUCK08/panther-eye-detectives---part-1/play

Now to tackle embedding sound and video...
  • greyelf wrote: »
    Sharpe wrote: »
    ... but philome.la is so quick and easy to use, that's what I do.
    But you need a Twitter account! Boooo! *smile*

Evil, evil place, that twitter, I have not fallen into that pit of hell yet!

• Pretty late to the party, but I'll toss in my two cents.

I see one problem with the main hosting sites: they're fine if you're doing a stripped-down twine project, but if you have tons of image files and other media you are going to run into problems.

Imgur seems pretty reliable for any amount of images so you can use that, but for mp3 hosting I really can't think of any solutions other than having access to a server of your own.

I know, I know. It's a concern for like... maybe 3 projects ever, but still.