Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine 1.4.1

LL
edited January 2014 in Chit-Chat
OK - I decided no news was good news, and threw open the gates of Twine 1.4.1:

http://l.j-factor.com/twine/twine-1.4.1-win.zip
http://l.j-factor.com/twine/twine-1.4.1-osx.zip

TBH my plan was to release this last week, so I'm a little behind schedule.
Now I shall wait and see what Twine 1.4.2 will invariably have to fix.

[quote]This is a beta build of Twine 1.4.1. Almost all of the changes should be listed in this wiki page. Please, if you have the time, confirm that these changes have been correctly instated. This is not to be considered a release version, or advocated as such.

http://l.j-factor.com/twine/TwineBetaWin.zip - Windows (zip file only).
http://l.j-factor.com/twine/TwineBetaMac.zip - OS X

Thanks for your continued interest in this game development program.

Comments

• Yay! I got textinput and radio input! Thanks! :D

When I get back from the movies, I'll make a story to test as many of these as I'm able.
  • Well, I have a weird one.

Windows 7 x64.

I made a folder called "Twine 1.4.1b" in C:\Program Files (x86)\Twine 1.4.1b and extracted all the files from the .zip into it.

I then double-clicked the Twine.exe and checked the Help section to make sure it was 1.4.1 and it was.

I then made a new file in 1.4.1 beta. Then, I pasted the following code in a new passage called "Test" and linked to Test in the Start passage.
    <<nobr>>
    <<set $player = {
    name: "Name",
    level: 1,
    experience: 0,
    gold: 0,
    strength: 10,
    dexterity: 10,
    intelligence: 10,
    health: 10,
    attackSkill: 50,
    defenseSkill: 50,
    weaponName: "None",
    weaponDamage: 0,
    weaponAttackBonus: 0,
    armorName: "None",
    armorRating: 0,
    shieldName: "None",
    shieldRating: 0,
    inventory: []
    }>>
    <<endnobr>>
    <<print $player.name>>
    I clicked "build" and saved the .html file on my desktop. It opened in my Super Nintendo emulator! ;D

Well, since I didn't give the StoryTitle a name and hadn't yet saved the file, the file extension was ".1" as you might have guessed.

Just thought I'd let you know about that side-effect of the new naming system. :)

Now, the print didn't work, either. The code above printed:
    rint $player.name>>
    So, I put a line of whitespace between <<print>> and the <<endnobr>>. Same thing.

Next:
    <<nobr>>
    <<set $player = {
    name: "Name",
    level: 1,
    experience: 0,
    gold: 0,
    strength: 10,
    dexterity: 10,
    intelligence: 10,
    health: 10,
    attackSkill: 50,
    defenseSkill: 50,
    weaponName: "None",
    weaponDamage: 0,
    weaponAttackBonus: 0,
    armorName: "None",
    armorRating: 0,
    shieldName: "None",
    shieldRating: 0,
    inventory: []
    }>>
    <<endnobr>>

Player name: <<print $player.name>>
    Prints:
    ayer name: Name
    So, we know now that the <<nobr>> isn't having the ZWNJ whitespace issue anymore. :)

I'm continuing to test . . .
  • [quote]You can now use external links in the simple link syntax, such as [[http://example.net]].

When I pasted "http://twinery.org/wiki/twine_1.4.1_release_notes"; no quotes into the Test passage and put double brackets around it, re-built and tested, clicking the [[Test]] link does nothing. It doesn't go to the passage. Right-clicking on the Test passage and clicking "Test Play From Here" goes to the Start passage.

So, I put some text above and below the link. Still nothing. Then, I converted the link to HTML and it worked just fine.

Below is the story file and HTML file. Like I say, clicking [[Test]] does nothing.

EDIT:  In further testing, I put ".html" at the end of the shorthand link and after clicking [[Test]] it gave me the error:

This passage does not exist: http://twinery.org/wiki/twine_1.4.1_release_notes.html

Clicking the link did open a new tab in my browser, however (though the link is no longer correct, it took me where I told it to go).

It did not show the text above or below the link, so the passage was not actually being displayed, like the error warned.

In another passage, [[Test 2]], I put the link in HTML, then added [[http://www.google.com]]. It shows the passage, but the link is in red like it doesn't work. It does, however, work correctly.
  • [quote]back now works better when Undo is off in Sugarcane. Previously it would mess up the variable state in cases when link variables were in use.
    I certainly couldn't get them to mess up in Sugarcane with Undo off with <<back>>. I'd give that a pass. :)

For the textinput, the button must be used? That keeps more than one textinput from being on the same page . . . No, I see that only one of them needs a button, but there must be a button in one of them. I'd rather it just capture whatever is in the fields without a button. Oh, I see, you made a new <<button>> macro. Okay. Can that be styled with CSS? Like, ".button { color:red; font-size: 400%;}" or something?

Looks like the new input types and button are working as intended to me! :)

I think that's all I knew how to test. Below is my test file.

It's so awesome that you're still developing Twine 1.X! Thanks a lot! :)
  • Thanks a bunch.

These posts describe two bugs:
    1) <<endnobr>> crops 3 successive characters after it.
    2) External links cause a crash.

I'll fix these now.

The CSS selector for buttons is ".passage button". You may also do ".internalButton", I guess.

The exact reason I enforce the <<button>> for the input selectors is largely a UI decision, both for authors and users: There isn't an obvious way of defining a "submit values" link vs. a "do not submit values" link using the current link syntax, and furthermore, I think a striking visual difference between the two kinds, one that evokes a traditional HTML form, would help keep things clear for the reader.
  • No problem. Would that I could do more.

You're the man, L, but I'd suggest leaving all UI decisions to the author. Just one little man's opinion, but hey, with CSS the button can look like anything so it's all good.  8)
  • This is beta number TWO!

http://l.j-factor.com/twine/TwineBetaWin.zip - Windows.
    http://l.j-factor.com/twine/TwineBetaMac.zip - OS X

Again, confirm that the bugs mentioned upthread are fixed. What I also want to be sure is maybe some confirmation regarding:
    * The lesser-used macros (<<choice>>, <<back>>, <<return>>, <<remember>>, <<forget>>).
    * Imported images in CSS.
    * The "Import from HTML" feature.
    * The OS X version's efficacy.
    * IE 8 effectiveness, if possible.
  • All issues I tested are fixed! :D

Building without naming or saving now opens in browser.

It appears to me that <<nobr>> works perfectly, as do external links. Meaning this 1.4.1 just became my new version. :D

"Import From HTML" worked fine for me, surprisingly. I never knew of this feature. Attached.

As for imported images and CSS . . .

Sharpe wrote:
    html {
    background: [img[bg]] no-repeat center center fixed;
    background-size: cover;
    }
    The image seems to repeat vertically in FF/Google/IE at small resolution, which is no big deal to me.

html {
    background: url(bg.jpg) no-repeat center center fixed;
    background-size: cover;
    }
    Works perfect in newest version of all three browsers.

. . . it's now fixed.

I don't have access to IE 8 or OS X. I've not used any of those macros, so I'll have to research them before testing.
  • What does Twine 1.4.1 have against tabs?
  • TheMadExile wrote:

What does Twine 1.4.1 have against tabs?
    ??? The tab character, or browser tabs? (I decided to encode the former when I noticed tabs in imported HTML were being munged a bit.)
  • I'm getting the following error using the custom <<hoverreplace>> macro with this beta when (obviously) hovering the cursor over the pertinent word:

undefined
  • TheMadExile wrote:

/sigh
    Oh, if you mean you want the Twine editor to be tabbed, then, hmm, that may be a bit out-of-scope for what is only intended to be a basic bugfix update (which albeit already has a little extra on the side), especially given tabs aren't exactly ready-to-go in wxPython.

wrongtarget wrote:

I'm getting the following error using the custom <<hoverreplace>> macro with this beta when (obviously) hovering the cursor over the pertinent word:

That shall require an update to my <<hoverreplace>> code - but I guess in the final 1.4.1 release I should make this error report voluntary.
  • TheMadExile wrote:

That shall require an update to my <<hoverreplace>> code - but I guess in the final 1.4.1 release I should make this error report voluntary.

Ok! This shouldn't be happening in 1.4, right? I may roll back only to build my game and fix that.
  • Actually, I was just expressing frustration with the situation surrounding the tab encoding change.  Finding out about a change in the compiler which breaks every header not updated to handle it by having users experiencing and complaining about the lossage is unpleasant.
  • I've been testing out the mentioned features and so far and there are no problems with those. I did find a few bugs though.

When opening Twine 1.4 files, sometimes 'Test Play From Here' does not work, it will always open the Start passage.

The RGB warning is fixed when importing animated/transparent image files, but the warning still appears when opening an old project with images already imported.
    undefined

Tables now work but for me, <<nobr>> is still not parsing HTML tags. I could have been mistaken, but I thought that fix was in here. I'll post some example code.
    <table border="1">
    <tr>
    <th>Column 1</th>
    <th>Column 2</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td style="height:100px">Red</td>
    <td style="height:100px">Apple</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>Yellow</td>
    <td>Banana</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    undefined
    <table border="1"><tr><th>Column 1</th><th>Column 2</th></tr><tr><td style="height:100px">Red</td><td style="height:100px">Apple</td></tr><tr><td>Yellow</td><td>Banana</td></tr></table>
    undefined

I was looking forward to it, cause working with large blocks of HTML is a huge pain under the current system since it needs to be illegible to work. If I find anything else I'll let you know.
  • Also,
    I don't know if this has been discussed before but it would be nice if visited() counted display calls. Right now it doesn't seem to add to the "counter".
  • wrongtarget wrote:

L wrote:

Ok! This shouldn't be happening in 1.4, right? I may roll back only to build my game and fix that.

If you may, could I have a copy of the code that's producing the error? I'd like to consult it.
  • http://l.j-factor.com/twine/TwineBetaWin.zip
    (No OS X yet)

This is beta THREE. I came up with a few more things, and here's a copy-paste of most of them:

* The StoryMenu now auto-updates when you change passages!! The code is re-executed and re-rendered into the element. (This also applies to StoryAuthor, StoryTitle and StorySubtitle). Please, feel free to put macros and formatting and whatnot into the StoryMenu to see if they break.
      * A new StorySettings option, "Errors", which, for the moment, simply turns off the new window.onerror alert box I put in.
      * Changed Responsive's CSS a bit - in particular, making its footer stick to the bottom of the screen and not jump around whenever you change passages.
      * Fixed passages with names containing quote marks being unrecognised by links.
      * Fixed importing from HTML sometimes failing to read passages correctly.
      * Fixed unmatched <<endif>> and <<endsilently>> macros not being syntax-highlighted red.

There are a few fixes I'm still working on that aren't in here yet.

TheMadExile wrote:

Actually, I was just expressing frustration with the situation surrounding the tab encoding change.  Finding out about a change in the compiler which breaks every header not updated to handle it by having users experiencing and complaining about the lossage is unpleasant.
    Whoops, OK. I did that in this commit but forgot to mention it. My apologies, sir.

Are TFGamesSite people using this beta immediately? Hmm, OK.
  • L wrote:
    Are TFGamesSite people using this beta immediately? Hmm, OK.

AFAIK, the majority of the Twine users there aren't using 1.4.1 yet (mostly a mix of: 1.4, 1.3.6, 1.3.6-Egghead; plus non-Twine compilers: Twee, Braid, etc).  I know some are using 1.4.1, but they should be aware it's still beta.
  • CoraBlue wrote:

Tables now work but for me, <<nobr>> is still not parsing HTML tags. I could have been mistaken, but I thought that fix was in here. I'll post some example code.
    The problem is that the indentation is being converted to <span class="char space"> elements. However, I've just added a fix that should eliminate those specifically within <table> related elements.
  • Awesome, man! Thanks for all your hard work, time and effort!

L wrote:
    Now I shall wait and see what Twine 1.4.2 will invariably have to fix.

;D

As far as I know, Twine 1.4.1 fixes every tiny little issue I had with 1.4!
  • Would this be a good thread to request a Twine feature?
  • No, but do it anyway, I'm piqued.
  • Heh, ok. :)

The proposed functionality is really straightforward:

When in a Twine passage window, double-click anywhere within a linked passage title to open that linked passage, creating it first if it does not yet exist.

Less important to me, but probably just as useful: hit a keyboard shortcut when the cursor is anywhere within the linked passage title , to get the same result.

My thought was that you would need to click in the part of the link that is the actual passage name. So, the part after the "|" and before the closing brackets. But maybe that's needlessly restrictive.

So for example you could double-click in the glowing area below (and the whitespace in that section too):

[[This is your brain|[glow=red,2,300]This is your brain on drugs.[/glow]]

Edit: the idea is that when you're writing a passage and you add some links, it's really simple to keep going to the next passage...without even having to really think about, really. Just double-click and keep writing.
  • I think this is a fantastic idea.  Well, not the implementation, necessarily, but the idea to do something to help smooth the workflow.  Internal links are easily the most-used part of Twine, and anything to speed up their creation would be awesome. 

Since the 1.4 update, I've had a heck of a time creating new passages.  New ones always materialize at the top-left of the entire story map, which is fine when you're starting out, but once your story/game is bigger, it's almost pointless to go find them.  Nowadays I just copy a nearby passage, paste it, and then erase its content.  Cumbersome and annoying, but much faster than scrolling up two pages to find a newly-generated new passage.

IS there a place to request/suggest future Twine features?  Or discuss possible feature ideas? 
  • Liyamu wrote:

Since the 1.4 update, I've had a heck of a time creating new passages.  New ones always materialize at the top-left of the entire story map, which is fine when you're starting out, but once your story/game is bigger, it's almost pointless to go find them.  Nowadays I just copy a nearby passage, paste it, and then erase its content.
    Can't you just right-click -> New Passage?
  • Right clicking has the same effect for me, it is very annoying.