Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there known issues with 8.1 (non-English release)?

Hello all,

I came via Giantbomb where I listened to an interview with the maker of depression quest.
I wanted to try out Twine and I think I get the basic idea but when I try to build a story with 1.4 if just gives me the old
"an error occured while building your story ('ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe4 in position 35: ordinal not in range(128))."

I am working on a German windows 8.1.
Any ideas? I dont use any strange Umlauts etc.
I cannot even test play TWS files I downloaded that are made by other people and that should work as they are in English.

I would really appreciate some help as I am dying to get started...

Best regards

Nikolaus

Comments

• I used the bluntest work around ever by installing a virtual copy of an English Win XP as a virtual PC in Win 8.1.
    Now it works!
    See, its as easy as 1, 2, 3!
  • Thank you.
    I am not sure if it applies though.
    If I load up a tws from somebody else it should work as I dont edit or change it at all.
    Everything works in the US version of win XP in the virtual machine so I can write for now.
  • Check this thread, it is about an issue that sounds very similar with a Swedish version of Windows. There is a problem where the Windows version of Python will output a localized name for the time zone and if that name contains non-ASCII characters, an error occurs. That issue has been fixed in git already, so it should no longer occur in the next release.
  • Thanks!
    I did read that first but I did not get that the date was inserted automatically.
    I will wait for the next release and try again.