Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Installation issue

Hello there

I've been installing Twine on some different pc's today and some of them are giving me an error message:

Error opening file for writing:

C:\Program files(x86)\Twine\_hashlib.pyd

Any suggestions?

Andr
/
gameworkshop.dk

Comments

• Modern versions of Windows heavily restrict write access to the Program Files directories - unless a program is run by an Administrator *and* requests elevated access rights, it is not permitted to write there. If the Twine installer permits you to install to a different directory, you may be able to do that as a workaround.

So basically, you can only install apps to Program Files if you're an admin (and you answer yes when Windows tells you the program is requesting elevated access).

On some of the older versions of Windows (Vista, 2008), this behavior depended on how strong the User Account Control options were configured (and pre-Vista this wasn't an issue at all). But on Windows 7/8/2012 this behavior can't be disabled.
  • If that's the case, then perhaps right-clicking on the Twine installer and clicking on "Run as Administrator" would help?
  • Ok that sounds really helpful, we'll give it a bash this week and write back about our success :D

cheers!
  • While running as administrator is a useful workaround, the real solution would be not to write to the installation directory at runtime. We're not living in the 90's anymore ;)

I looked up what a .pyd file is and apparently it is a DLL that contains native code for a Python module. There shouldn't be a need to open a DLL for writing, I think. I can't look into this myself, since I don't run Windows, but I think it would be worth investigating.
  • From what the original poster said, it's the installation program that's receiving the error. And of course the installation program has to write to the Program Files directory.

Sharpe is only suggesting to run the installer itself as Administrator - which is pretty much required on modern Windows installations. Normal users are no longer permitted to install applications (at least to the standard locations).
  • Ah, I completely missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.