Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• Nice, just tried out my html file on dropbox and it's working great so I can test it on my phone browser!  Also, the new passages are appearing where they should. 
  • Strange, when I build in this version, what displayed as "the goblin has -2 HP left" now displays as

"the goblin has

HP left!"

Whitespace was added, including a space between the '-' and the '2.'

The negative two is in a variable.

Sugarcane, no stylesheet. I rebuilt in 1.4.1 and it went back to normal.

I started a new story file and put the following in the Start passage, then tried "Test Play From Here":
    <<set $foo = -2>>
    You have <<print $foo>> eggs.
    It prints wonky like above.

I then inspected the element, and Twine has it as a list with the '-' as a data-bullet.

It seemed to run fine on dropbox, though I never tested dropbox before this.
  • Groan... how did I not see that coming?
  • Here's Beta 2:

Win: http://l.j-factor.com/twine/TwineBetaWin.zip
    OS X: http://l.j-factor.com/twine/TwineBetaMac.zip

This still doesn't have automatic image importing... I had a stressful past week-and-a-half. Nevertheless, this provides several other minor fixes that have been helpfully reported since b1. Thanks for trying this out.
  • ***ing hell! And so our long umlaut nightmare is over!
    Thanks a lot. Using a virtual system for that is just so inconvenient.

Niko
  • Hello,

I still have a error message with this new version :
    An error occurred while building your story (u'\xea').

The twine.exe.log :
    C:\Program Files\TwineBetaWin2\library.zip\urllib.py:1285: UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal

I'm on Windows 7 - 32 bits.
    The accent in the current month does not apply today. March in french is Mars
  • Erratum :
    Despite the error message, the HTML file is generated properly.
    Thx for 1.4.2 ;)
  • 1.4.2 Beta 2 uses a different 'dialog' window for the StorySettings passage. You don't see the original StorySettings as normal text in the passage, instead it shows a list of checkboxes and fields for the settings. Seems ok, but there's a problem.

The obfuscate setting is a checkbox, so it sets obfuscate to either 'on' or 'off'.

Unfortunately the code needs 'swap' as the 'on' condition to actually do the obfuscation. This means you can't actually obfuscate anything directly with the 1.4.2 beta!

You can do a really messy work-around by exporting to twee format, change the obfuscate 'on' to 'swap' and then reimport into twine. You can then build an obfuscated jonah or sugarcane target file which will be correctly decoded when each passage is loaded in a browser.

BTW: Sugarcube (BETA 3010) doesn't seem to support obfuscation at all, is that true? At least I can't get it to work, it just doesn't understand and 'crashes'. I can't seem to find any de-obfuscation code in the Sugarcube header (maybe I missed it somewhere), but I assume it's currently another difference between the vanilla headers and Sugarcube?
  • SugarCube does not support obfuscation, no.
  • Just as a general rule of tidiness, bugs for the betas should be reported in the beta threads, not the Help subforum. Also thanks, bug fixed.
  • ^Merged.
  • I find that a passage gets flagged with a warning if it has an external link. Is that what should happen? I appreciate external links cannot be checked, but I would not have expected a warning.

Eg
    [[Twinery|http://twinery.org/]]
  • The wrote:

I find that a passage gets flagged with a warning if it has an external link. Is that what should happen? I appreciate external links cannot be checked, but I would not have expected a warning.

Eg
    [[Twinery|http://twinery.org/]]

Are running on Windows or Mac?

I just  downloaded the TwineBetaWin.zip file linked above, created a new story, edited the Start passage, inserted a copy of your example of an external link and it was syntax highlighted in light blue, which is the colour of external links.
  • Yes, inside the passage it is highlighted correctly. Now close the passage, and the box in the flow chart has an exclamation mark at the bottom right corner. I think it should not.

I am on Windows.
  • The exclamation mark at the bottom right corner indicates there are links that don't resolve / point to passages within the current TWS file. (ie considered broken because the target cant be found in passage list)
    The same thing happens if you link to Passages stored within a second TWS file referenced within the StoryIncludes passage.

The first instance 'may' be an error/bug depending on how the powers that be want it to work.
    The second instance has a pending fix to allow one TWS file to know about Passages stored within related TWS files.
  • I'm sure this isn't the right place for this, but I didn't want to start a new thread and didn't think it warranted a PM.

There are a few tiny little aspects with Twine 1.4's user interface that I'd like amended.

The first is an option under the Build menu. I'd like a "Rebuild and View" option, if possible, that would combine "Rebuild Story" and "View Last Build." No biggie; just two less clicks.

The next would be in the passages window. There is an option for "Rebuild Story" but none for "View Last Build." I'd like that added as well as my "Rebuild and View" option, if possible. That would save some time and a number of clicks when tweaking a certain passage. It would also be cool to have a "Rebuild and Test" option that would rebuild and view as if the passage was right-clicked and "Test Play from Here" was selected. Boy, would that be nice.

One more thing I would like, while I'm wishing. In the Passage window, under "Broken Links," a "Fix All" would be very nice. It wouldn't have to pull them up, either. Just place them in the main window like normal. That would save several clicks. It's something I've wanted since day 1. I'd also rather the newly-created passages not be opened when created with the "Broken Links" option, either.

Just some suggestions!

As always, thanks a lot! :)
  • If "Replace Across Story..." worked like Replace in a regular text editor, that would be really great too!

What I mean is, Twine currently can't display the context of a search and replace the way a text editor can, because all the text is broken up into these separate little boxes.

But context is really needed, because for instance if you decide to change the name of a passage, then you need to find most incidences of the passage name to replace it, but there will probably be specific spots where you don't want to replace it. Or maybe you need to change a character's description in certain passages only...etc etc.

In the context of a text editor, the task of figuring out which instances to replace and which to skip is trivial. In Twine it's tedious.

So how about, each Time twine finds another instance of the text to replace, it opens that Passage window and highlights the text in the window? Then, as soon as you choose either "Find Next" or "Replace," the passage window is closed and the next one opened...

...just a thought.
  • Further to the exclamation mark on passages with external links, if you do Story - Story Statistics, all external links with be counted as broken links.
  • Sharpe wrote:

The first is an option under the Build menu. I'd like a "Rebuild and View" option, if possible, that would combine "Rebuild Story" and "View Last Build." No biggie; just two less clicks.
    "Test Play" is designed to fulfill this use-case.
    Sharpe wrote:
    It would also be cool to have a "Rebuild and Test" option that would rebuild and view as if the passage was right-clicked and "Test Play from Here" was selected. Boy, would that be nice.
    This has just been implemented in 1.4.2 recently.
    Sharpe wrote:

One more thing I would like, while I'm wishing. In the Passage window, under "Broken Links," a "Fix All" would be very nice. It wouldn't have to pull them up, either. Just place them in the main window like normal. That would save several clicks. It's something I've wanted since day 1. I'd also rather the newly-created passages not be opened when created with the "Broken Links" option, either.
    Instead of an explicit menu item, it now offers to do it automatically when you close the passage:

undefined

There's still some issues with it regarding StoryIncludes files, etc., but I hope to sort those out sooner or later.
  • L wrote:
    Instead of an explicit menu item, it now offers to do it automatically when you close the passage:

undefined

What is the functional difference between the "No" and "Cancel" buttons?
  • "Test" doesn't build to HTML and I'd still suggest adding a view/test option in the passage window. The fixing all broken passages looks great though! :)

Greyelf, I'd imagine clicking cancel leaves the passage window open, but closes the "Create Passages" box.
  • Sharpe wrote:

"Test" doesn't build to HTML
    Why not? This looks like a bug.
  • I create a new story. Then, I save as Test.TWS and build the story, creating Test.HTML. I add some text in Start. I click Test Play. It creates a temporary HTML file. If I were to close Twine or otherwise open the Test.HTML file without rebuilding, the HTML file would not have the added text in the Start passage.

If that's the intended behavior, then I'm suggesting a "Rebuild and Test" option (and the same in the passage window). :)
  • Why do you need it to be built when you test it? I thought that that was what you did when you want to distribute your game.
  • I don't always open Twine to test and play my games. Also, it would make certain the HTML build for test/play/distribution is the most current revision. No need to ask oneself, "Did I rebuild the HTML? Better check."
  • Well, OK. I guess I could repurpose "View Last Build" into something like "Rebuild and Play" (because TBH I doubt many want to view a build without it being the freshest available).

Change of subject: I've decided to change the <<if>> macro so that using a = sign in its clause (e.g. <<if $a = 2>>) displays the error message "please use 'is' instead of '='". Mainly this is because too many people have been falling victim to the =/eq ambiguity, even despite the inclusion of 'is'. You might think "well, why not just have the program Do What I Mean and auto-substitute the = for an ==, like Game Maker and other proglangs do?", but right now I feel more inclined to discourage the habit of not using "is" (or "==" or "eq" or "==="). Any thoughts welcome.
  • Is the error displayed inside the Twine GUI when editing a passage or by the java-script engine at run-time?
    Is the error message only a warning or hard error?

Does this mean Authors will have to update their existing (maybe old) projects and will there be a helper method to do so because doing a simple search-and-replace for '=' may effect assignments.
  • L wrote:
    Change of subject: I've decided to change the <<if>> macro so that using a = sign in its clause (e.g. <<if $a = 2>>) displays the error message "please use 'is' instead of '='". Mainly this is because too many people have been falling victim to the =/eq ambiguity, even despite the inclusion of 'is'. You might think "well, why not just have the program Do What I Mean and auto-substitute the = for an ==, like Game Maker and other proglangs do?", but right now I feel more inclined to discourage the habit of not using "is" (or "==" or "eq" or "==="). Any thoughts welcome.
    YES! DO THIS!! I am one of those people. Happens all the time. :)
  • greyelf wrote:

Does this mean Authors will have to update their existing (maybe old) projects and will there be a helper method to do so because doing a simple search-and-replace for '=' may effect assignments.
    = does entirely the wrong thing anyway (it's equivalent to "to" as used in a <<set>>), so if they were using it in old projects, those projects were buggy as a result. In Twine 1.3.5 they should have been using "eq", and in Twine 1.4 they ought to be using either "eq" or "is".
  • L wrote:
    In Twine 1.3.5 they should have been using "eq", and in Twine 1.4 they ought to be using either "eq" or "is".

As far as i'm aware there has never been a 'rule' stating you were meant to use 'eq' or 'is' instead of the mathematical equivalents, just that you could if you wanted to.

I have seen the source of a number of ongoing projects that use the mathematical symbols, and if the java-script engine was changed to no longer support the symbols their story/games would stop working. The same could be said if the change is only in the Twine GUI, either way you would be causing Authors to have to change there code because a handful of people are still learning the difference between assignment and comparison.

Do you also plan to replace the other mathematical symbols? '>=', '<=', '!=', etc
    If not then the Authors will need to know that sometimes they use words and other times symbols.