Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to animate text?

Would it be possible for me to spell something out in ASCII with flying characters, or at the very least suddenly appearing characters? If so, please tell me how.

Comments

• Well, I guess so... with a bit of JavaScript.
  • Perhaps if you were more reciprocal to those who regularly provide help on these forums, or even acknowledged their requests after they help you, you would find the board more accommodating.

I know when I asked for a .tws file from you (to better help you), and CoraBlu explained to you what that was, you simply ignored my request. http://twinery.org/forum/index.php/topic,724.msg2108.html#msg2108

Then, when L asked for a .tws file from you, or even just a copy and paste of the code from the passage, you declined even after he insisted and asked nicely. http://twinery.org/forum/index.php/topic,1053.msg2280.html#msg2280

I have no desire to help someone so rude. Apparently, neither does many others.
  • Excuse me, L wants ASCII that can't be published right now. And I don't know how to give you a tws source file. Both of these issues stem from the single problem of spacing ASCII for maps and I discovered that if you use pre tags outside of brackets it will format the text correctly without smashing it.
    I shared that on the thread, and with everyone having problems, so that's my way of reciprocating!

My thread though. Does anyone know a quick way to make text spell something by fading in or flying in?
  • Here's some javascript you could adapt:

http://cssdeck.com/labs/bo3ikfuf

You'll need jquery to use the code as is (included in SugarCube, not sure about other headers).
  • It doesn't work. But perhaps if the code is adapted like you said you might be able to simply spell something out.
    Can someone please advise?
  • One thing I'd like to make a note about is that using JavaScript in Twine/Twee is that, because the entire story is loaded and the HTML is all "there" at the start, without alteration, typical JavaScript would often execute on the (hidden) passages before they appear.

It takes more effort, but converting things into macros so that they start after the passage is shown (and its object model created), can help in many cases?

Perhaps this is unrelated to your issue, but I know that when I started working on my first Twine games I had a heck of a time getting JavaScript to work in more "advanced" cases.
  • Is it really so difficult?
  • I don't know that I'd say it's very much more difficult than vanilla JS, but it is different.

Take a look at L's <<replace>> macros, for example.  You can see how macros are defined there, and how to create new elements, etc...

It may be worth the time to create a small project where you can try out things that you're trying to accomplish in your main project, both to learn, and as something where, if you run into problems, you can point to, and then, once you've got things working well, you could share your experience with the community so that others who are coming on board might have more examples to work with.

I don't think I would have finished my game without L and Porpentine's code that they shared =D

EDIT: Since I mentioned her, I should probably share Porp's Twine resources
  • That's a good idea