Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any way to set keyboard shortcuts for Twine?

Hey all! Brand new Twine user here, and so far loving it.

I find myself really missing a way to more easily insert new passages or closing windows though - and yes, I know it's just a few clicks, but even a few clicks adds up in the long run. What I'm really missing is customizable keyboard shortcuts. Is there any way to set a shortcut so that I could alt-drag on an existing passage or double click on the empty canvas to create a new one? And maybe just hit ESC to close an open passage?

Comments

• Which OS are you using? Under Linux I can create a new passage using Ctrl-N and close a passage edit window using Ctrl-W. I assume it would be the same under Windows and under Mac OS X one would use Cmd instead of Ctrl.
  • Thanks for your reply!
    I'm using windows and can (and are) using the same commands as you. What I wondered was if I could change them to other and (for me at least) potentially simpler and/or more intuitive shortcuts.
  • What would you suggest?
  • Ctrl-N for new and Ctrl-W for close window are pretty standard key combos, I think.

I don't know if wxWidgets has a built-in system for changing key bindings.
  • Oh, they are completely standard, no doubt about that, and as said it works fine as it is. I'm not discussing whether or not the original settings are bad or not.

@Narf: A few suggestions would for instance be:
    Alt-drag on an existing passage to copy it.
    Double click on empty space to create a new passage where I click.
    ESC to close an open passage.

But eh, there's a lot of things like that I'd love...having a line of quick-format buttons for code would be handy as well, for instance. Like, select a piece of text and click a button to immediately put <<nobr>>[text]<<endnobr>> around it all, rather than having to type it out. But I'm just enquiring, it works as it is.
  • Your first two examples (copy passage / new passage) are not actually key-binds, so would require code to be written to support those features.

Using ESC to close a window should be possible to implement but I would suggest that this would not be a good default because (at least) on Windows that key is normally used to indicate that you want to exit the current without saving any changes done within said window.
    eg. You want to Escape out of the Form / Dialog.

I suggest that you visit the https://github.com/tweecode/twine website, go to the Issues section and add a "New Issue" for each of your enhancement ideas.
  • Bluntie wrote:

Double click on empty space to create a new passage where I click.
    Is this really more convenient than just right-clicking, though?