Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Generic Twine RPG Pre-Alpha: Playtesters Requested

Greetings!

My Generic Twine RPG is nearing the need for play testers. It's come a very, very long way since the Twine Number 23 challenge. It will still be in pre-alpha stage with a lot left to complete, but it will be completely playable.

Here are some screen shots.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34725588/site/Screenshot.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34725588/site/Screenshot2.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34725588/site/screenshot3.png

I hired a few pixel artists to do face portraits using the NES color palette for me (using no more than three colors, plus black, white and transparent!), but the monster art is mainly ripped from an obscure Japanese NES  game, and a few form the Japanese Dragon Quest Famicom (Japanese NES) games. The monsters are placeholder art for now, but I really like them! There will be more than 30 face portraits and about that many monsters.

The game will have sound effects and music as well. I'm going to work on that tonight.

The biggest thing that needs done is an inventory list. I know pretty well how I want to implement it, but it will take time.

The game should be pretty fun, but it shares my love for level grinding, so that may be a turn-off for some.

So, this is an open call for playtesters.

However, I want playtesters, not "people who want to play the game for fun." The later will be disappointed anyway; there's no quests yet other than rescue so-and-so and liberate such-and-such dungeon. So, it's pure grind for gold and experience, tough this will change when I get to the stage where I can work on maing the game fun, interesting, immersive and unique. Right now, the dungeons and outdoor areas are all a random series of events. Soon, there will be an overworld map that the player can use to go to different locations to grind and explore. Dungeons and towns and other locations will be on the map to visit. That's not yet the case. It's simulated with random events. As such, though, the dungeons are horizontally infinite as is the overworld. Dungeons still have a set number of levels, though; slay the boss to gain access to the stairs downdeeper you go, harder it gets. You know the drill.

As playtesters, should you choose to accept your mission, I'll ask a few things of you.

One, there will be lines of information that I'll want copy-and-pasted into a text document and sent to me. The lines will hold the data of your character at the time of the event I want recorded. It will contain things like player level, hit points, gold, and equipment.

The other big thing I'd likeand if I could automate this I wouldis the lines of data to be recorded in your text file by play-through number. For instance, the first time you ever play the game, you would write, "Play-Through 1:", then copy and paste the lines of information.  A play through starts at the beginning and stops either when you die or when you get tired of playing and quit. Or, when your mom calls you out of your basement "apartment" for supper. ;) When you start playing again, it's another play-though. Pretty simple. ;)

There won't be many lines. Each time a boss is defeated and each time the player dies, there will be one. In the player death one, added to the above information will be the name of the monster and the amount of HP it had left when it killed you.

The last thing I would like is any and all other feedback you have that you would like to provide. Ideas for the game, etc.

That's it!

The game might be ready for the closed pre-alpha test late Monday night.

If you'd like to help me out, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks for reading and for your time and consideration. :)

Comments

• It was mentioned that I didn't specify if I would prefer a reply to this thread or a PM. PM is probably better, and that's all I've got so far. :)

I still haven't got all the art I wanted (actually, I haven't checked e-mail in a few days, so I may have), though the game has been ready pretty well ever since I posted this. I haven't worked on it for the last two weeks due to midterm week, then spring break. Some of you will know what I'm talking about there. 

I'll probably dig in again this week and try to get a pre-alpha out by Monday (3/24). Don't expect anything very fun. I just want to make sure there's not something horribly wrong with the game's foundation (e.g., images, sound, layout, etc.).

Thanks!
  • Is there a link to this game or a download for the html file?  I really think it looks cool!
  • Shortly after writing the original post, my code suffered a critical error. It appears I was accidentally relying on a bug in a past version of Twine to accomplish my inventory goals. My inventory system, of course, was crucial to the game.

I was stifled and I never recovered. I'll pick up the project again some day.
  • Sharpe wrote:

Shortly after writing the original post, my code suffered a critical error. It appears I was accidentally relying on a bug in a past version of Twine to accomplish my inventory goals. My inventory system, of course, was crucial to the game.

I was stifled and I never recovered. I'll pick up the project again some day.

Which bug/unmeant feature were you relying on?
  • http://twinery.org/forum/index.php/topic,1409.30.html

TheMadExile wrote:

There's currently an issue with setter links in the 1.4.1 vanilla headers.  If you do something like the following:

:: Start
    <<set $a to { id: 0 }>>\
    [[Next (setter link: $b to $a)|Result][$b to $a]]

:: Result
    <<set $b.id to Math.random()>>
    In the Result passage $a and $b will refer to the same object, rather than $b referring to a clone of $a.  I'd assert that the setter portion of a link should execute as part of the passage it belongs to, rather than the linked passage (i.e. the setter callback should occur before pushing a new state onto the history stack).

Additionally, creating a bookmark on the Result passage (via the Bookmark link in the sidebar) and then loading that bookmark in a new tab will show $a as it was prior to the modification of $b (i.e. loading the bookmark makes $b a clone of $a, rather than referencing the same object).  So, currently, loading a passage linked to by a setter link does not restore the same game state (at least when doing an object assignment in the setter).