Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Size Of Twine Files

Hello Everyone,

This may seem like a silly question but up to what size is it possible to make the HTML file?
I have started a game which at the moment is only 120kb but I'm thinking this file could get a lot larger.
Also, what about the .tws files? Do they have a maximum file size?

I would be really grateful for any help at all - Thank You!

Stew.

Comments

• I'm sure there's a theoretical maximum file size according to file system type. NTFS has a max file size of holy cow.

You're not going to hit it. ;)

The bigger worry is how large of an HTML file are you willing to make people download? A few megs is nothing nowadays. I don't know if I would want to go as high as 10. Maybe five would be my limit. Dunno.
  • As a story writer the issue you will encounter if your planning to create a large story/game with the Twine GUI is not file size but the number of Passages / Links within a single TWS file.

Because of the way the Twine GUI determines which passages are current visible and what link arrow lines need to be drawn, the more Passages/links you have within a single TWS file the slower the screen refreshes and the slower the application responds.

So if you are planing on having a lot of Passages/Links in your story/game, especially if you have a link (like one to the players description) that appears in (almost) every Passage, then I suggest to look into using the StoryIncludes feature.
  • Thank you for everyone's reply.
    It does sound like I could go quite big. And I guess I could always link two HTML files in a kind of play part 1 then part 2 way.
    Anyway, I could take forever to write a big game but it's fun to learn as I go.
    Stew