Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Restoring Sugarcane breadcrumbs?

edited April 2014 in Help! with 1.x
I finally upgraded to 1.4.1 and was disappointed to see that sugarcane no longer extends the URL with breadcrumbs.

I'd been using a modified version of Sugarcane with the sidebar removed. I had been aiming for a very minimalistic player experience similar to the one I did with my earlier game, Swan Hill (http://lauramichet.com/swanhill.html) and have no desire to reintroduce a sidebar or a bookmark link anywhere in the story. For this reason, I'd been relying on the existence of the breadcrumb URL to give people a way to return to the story in the same place they left it.

I reinstalled 1.3.6 in a separate place and copied over the old story format header file, but this broke all my macros for some reason.

Is there an existing Sugarcane story format which retains the new features, plays nice with macros, and re-implements the breadcrumb URL? Is there a macro that does this? Is there some way to solve the old story format breaking my macros?

Also, I checked a lot of the update documentation before installing 1.4.1 but didn't see a warning about this anywhere.

EDIT:
It's worth mentioning that I'm currently teaching myself javascript off of Code Academy but am not yet fluent enough to understand most of the shop talk that takes place on this forum.

I'll probably go back to an earlier version of Twine until I get the url stuff back, since it's also integral to the way I edit-- I change Twine passages, rebuild immediately, and then refresh the html file immediately in-browser to see and evaluate the changes. The new version of Sugarcane makes this impossible and turns editing into a huge hassle.

Comments

• I suppose I could introduce a storysetting that brings back the URL hash as a substitute for the bookmark link... until then, put this in either StoryMenu, StoryTitle or StoryAuthor:

<<set state.pushState(true, state.save())>>

That should bring it back.

Just as an aside: the intended way of instantly testing a specific passage in 1.4.1 is to right-click it and select "Test Play from Here", which will start a game from that passage.  Admittedly one disadvantage of this is that it creates a new browser tab for each play, though, which can get a bit messy. Also, 1.4.1 has a bug where the StoryMenu etc. aren't loaded during the first turn if you use that feature.
  • Thanks so much! I'll try this when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the information about the "start from here" feature. Question, though: how does it handle variables and previous choices in the story? What I liked about the long URLS was that I could run up two versions of the same passage-- one with one set of choices/journey through the story, one with another-- and then see both of them behaving differently when I tested changes.