Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(do not) forget

Hi all,

I've finished my first Twine game. Well, it's mostly my tenth, but it's the first I've actually managed to finish and be happy with. This was supposed to be done within a weekend. It took me about five months. I have quite a hard time describing it without spoilers, thus here's what I've put on the IFDB about it:

(do not) forget is a slightly surreal tale. It takes place in an isometric world inhabited by cute cubic animals. It is, however, not intended for children. This is a contemplative game, sometimes crude, often absurd, maybe philosophical.

The game is made with Twine, but includes full screen graphics, (very) simple animations and background music. It tells the story of a rabbit trying to understand why his desert island is not desert anymore.

Feel free to give it a try, any feedback is welcome: http://lectronice.com/donotforget

Comments

• Holy crap.  Where to start?

This game is crazy.  You have truly done some cool things in here.  Also - wow... I'm confused by its minimal wackiness and odd sentences from out of nowhere.

Awesome job.
  •   :o  What the hell did I just play?  And why do I have this sudden urge to play Minecraft.

That was pretty cool.  ;D
  • LMAO I had that same thought.  Except.. Minecraft is less insane.
  • Wraithbane wrote:

LMAO I had that same thought.  Except.. Minecraft is less insane.

Well, you probably wouldn't say that if you played on my server :) This reminds me I still have to release my mod for crafting merguez with redstone and rotten flesh.

TheMadExile wrote:

:o  What the hell did I just play?  And why do I have this sudden urge to play Minecraft.

That was pretty cool.  ;D

I'm also wondering... What the hell did I just make? Anyway, it was great working with SugarCube, and I've barely scratched the surface of its possibilities (even if I did some dirty hacks to glue things together, due to my feeble Javascript skills).

"Not playing Minecraft" was on my to-not-do-list during the making of this game. I actually fought the urge to add a creeper face somewhere... So yes, I guess the influence is obvious, but it was not really intended. I was just having fun with Hexels, and suddendly... cubes!
  • That was pretty interesting. Haven't finished it yet. 

Any chance we can see underhood as to how you made it?

This definitely removes the notion for others twine games are text only.  I liked the music too, good job.
  • Thanks!

I'm thinking about writing a detailed post-mortem, including the various techniques (or mostly dirty hacks) I've used to make this work. For now, this is quite a mess, and first I need to find some time to clean my code a bit.
  • Why?  I think insane code fits this insane game just fine!  HAH