Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accessibility and Markup

(Hi! I've followed Twine for a bit but only recently started making my own stories with the 1.4 / 2.0 tools. Thanks for everyone's hard work!)

One thing I noticed with the Twine output is that the pages seems to do poorly with the screen reading software I was using. (This would be the built-in OS X VoiceOver, and the ChromeVox Chrome Extension.) Some context: I don't use such accessibility features personally, and I was experimenting with it for the first time, so it was a surprise.

What seems to happen is that for almost all of the generated text, each character was being read out loud, rather than each word, which is incomprehensible. It seems that each character is rendered in its own HTML element:

<span>h</span><span>i></span>

Which is the cause of the issue. (Twine 2 does the same thing with a different tag name.)

I couldn't find previous discussions of this, but: what is the reason that the rendered Twine output is this way?

Thanks!

Comments

• This problem was briefly talked about in this thread.

I am not sure if the problem was ever resolved.
  • This should now be averted in games generated in Twine 1.4.2, unless the author explicitly requires it for CSS reasons.
  • Thanks for the update! That sounds great.