Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comprehensive Pronouns and Titles intro

edited August 2014 in Workshop
Okay, so I made a partial intro/character creation program. It includes custom first and last name, sex (male/female), gender (male/female/neutral), custom titles for everyone (Mr./Miss/Mrs./Ms., etc), male, female, or custom familial titles (brother/sister, aunt/uncle, etc), and pronouns.

It's designed with LGBT in mind, particularly trans, both binary and non-binary, but can be nice accommodation, particularly in titles, for people who prefer Ms. for all instead of Miss/Mrs./Ms, etc., or people who want to use titles from a different language, as long as it's at the beginning like English titles (ie. M., Herr, etc. [I'm only fluent in English, so I apologize if those aren't accurate]).

But your sex can be different than your gender, everyone has custom titles, I know some people who use neutral pronouns still use gendered familial titles, so they can choose to use the default male or female, or input their own. For Neutral pronouns, you choose whether they're singular, or plural (ie, they are), and whether they're They, Them, Their, etc., or to custom input. At the end is a confirmation page, and an option to restart. The confirmation page also utilizes capitalizing variables using the CSS, so check it for format. ALL CAPS and all lowercase are used the same, just check the CSS stylesheet. You can add/remove titles etc if you wish, just follow the format.

Remember, there's only a point to all this custom input if you utilize it within your story/game, etc. So when referring to the character, use $isare, and the pronoun and title variables. They're all listed in the Start passage. Also, if you're editing this section, it's very important that restart sends it back to the very start, because everything is set there, and the rest of the program makes assumptions based on how it was set at the beginning. This is designed and intended to be included in larger programs, so by all means use it, just credit me somewhere using the link in the Author passage. Considering the audience of any work you may make with this, they may like to use it also, so you can include a link to this thread for them too. Right now, they can see my latest posts from my profile page, which happen to be on this thread, but if I start posting more, it may become hard to find, so a direct link would probably be nice, but not mandatory.

Let me know if something doesn't work or doesn't seem right. I don't know how soon I'll get back to you, but I'll try to help when I do.

Comments

• Very nice! Thank you for making this. :)

I'm assuming you also need to have certain macros in the game already to get this to work? (Like the Text Input macro, obviously.)
  • Let me add my thanks for this- I can see this being really useful.
    (It's working ok for me, without any extra macros).

I'm new to this, and curious: you set all the variables to male, then changed them to female or neutral if that was called for once the input was entered. Was there a reason you didn't just put all three options in the one passage? (if/ elseif/ else)
  • [quote]I'm assuming you also need to have certain macros in the game already to get this to work? (Like the Text Input macro, obviously.)
    It shouldn't need anything except Twine (sorry, I'm not sure where to find the version) and this program.

[quote]I'm new to this, and curious: you set all the variables to male, then changed them to female or neutral if that was called for once the input was entered. Was there a reason you didn't just put all three options in the one passage? (if/ elseif/ else)
    It's been a while since I've used Twine, so I'll have to check it out. I think when I started this program I thought you had to set the variable as something before it could be used or changed, but there may be other reasons. I used male as default because it's what I use, but I figure as long as it works, what's behind the scenes shouldn't matter.

I'm thinking of updating it to include 's/'re as well as is/are, and an option whether or not to include "s" for possessive after a name
        ie. Nicholas' instead of Nicholas's
    so I may also update that if it improves it, or just so I don't offend anyone.
  • Oh, I just thought if, considering the audience of any work you may make with this, they may like to use it also, so you can include a link to this thread for them too. Right now, they can see my latest posts from my profile page, which happen to be on this thread, but if I start posting more, it may become hard to find, so a direct link would probably be nice, but not mandatory. I'll edit the OP to include this.