Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tales of the Mountain Witch - game w/ custom interpreter

Hey everybody,

My name is Reed; I'm new here! I'm currently working on a game called Tales of the Mountain Witch, where you play as the titular mountain witch, exploring high mountain crags and forbidden forests, uncovering ancient secrets and devious plots, set against a rich, unique fantasy backdrop.  The game covers her entire life, so there's potentially a lot of variation between one playthrough and the other; the twine diagram is very branchy.

I'm writing a custom interpreter for it in haxe and openfl, so it will be available on a bunch of different platforms. I have a couple of artists and a composer working alongside me, and our goal is to Kickstart in March.  One of the things I'm planning on doing for a stretch goal is to fix up my interpreter and release it to the Twine community.  I haven't researched licences yet, but it would be free to use and modify, and it would make it a lot easier for people to release Twine games as standalones on Steam or other distribution platforms.

Anyways if any of you are in the Boston area, I plan on showing off a demo of the game at PR-IF's February meeting, and I'm probably going to need beta testers at some point!

Here's some cool art from my game:

undefined
The little village in the mountains where you begin the game.

undefined
The main character, Nirvora. There are a bunch of different types of magic you can choose; here she has plant-based magic.

undefined
One of the creatures in the game; a wothen.  Quite a dignified looking fellow, don't you think?

Check out my devlog: http://mountainwitchgame.tumblr.com/

Or tweet at me on twitter: https://twitter.com/MWgameOfficial

Comments

• Wait PR-IF meeting boston hello yes hi. I think I knew about PR-IF, but forgot about it after I got shy of actually going. I'll try to make February provided I can actually find anything on MIT's campus!

Also, this looks pretty interesting! I love the look of Nirvora. It's one of my Twine goals to work with an artist on a project, so I love seeing others' collaborative work.
  • Thanks! I'm happy to answer any questions people have about finding and collaborating with artists.  One was my friend from university, and the other I found on tumblr.

Yeah, you should come! It's a very laid-back environment; everyone just shows up and talks about IF. Our next meeting is at 6:30 pm on February 23, in room 233 of building 14N on the MIT campus.  Map is here:

https://goo.gl/maps/QA5NU
  • This looks really interesting, and the blog is good too, it's nice to see someone documenting a project like this!  I've signed up for the mailing list also I can follow your progress. 
  • Cool, welcome aboard!
  • Wow! Looks awesome!  :)
  • Thanks!

Here's some brand new concept art I haven't put on the devblog yet.  Depending on what kind of magic you choose and what choices you make, your character may receive one of several familiars.  Here are just a few:

undefined
  • This looks awesome! If I had money, I'd tell you to shut up and take it! Really nice art, esepecially. Also, is that a space whale I see...?
  • No, he's just a regular swimming whale, but he is magical and covered with paisley!  He's going to be even more colorful in the final rendering; I should have another picture of him up in a few days or so.