Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debugging suggestion

The other day, I posted a question on debugging, and found that in general, the answers were fairly complex. I came up with a much simpler solution that I thought I would post here.

I created a passage simply titled DEBUG, which I treat as my variable watch window. Anything that I want to keep track of, I label and put into the passage. On the bottom of every page, I have (display: "DEBUG"), so my watched variables are always showing. Once I'm ready to publish, all I have to do is blank out DEBUG's text, and it becomes invisible.

Comments

• That's a really good idea!

Another thing you could do is create a debug variable and only conditionally show the passage if you set the variable in the first passage.  That way you can either remove it for public beta test play without the trouble of removing it from every passage, or allow testers to toggle it on and off.
  • Oh man, that's an even niftier idea! I can drop in a trigger at the beginning of the story to turn it on or off that can be left in for people helping to debug, and remove the toggle once it's release time. :3