Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harrison Squared Dies Early--companion game for novel

I thought people might want to see this -- a twine 2 / Snowman game that's in the same world as a novel I have coming out from Tor at the end of the month (that's March 2015 as I write this).  I collaborated with a visual artist, so there are illustrations scattered throughout. I also added puzzles and an inventory system. Next thing I'd like to do is add sound.  Because it's a 15 minute game, though, I'm probably not going to add saves or nav buttons.

If you'd like to see it, it's at http://darylgregory.com/harrison-squared/game

I went with Snowman because my day job is as a web programmer, and I was comfortable writing my own js and css.  Can I just say, though, how much I appreciate Chris Klimas? Fabulous work, man.

I'm betting more writers are going to try out twine, and release the games for free for PR purposes (like I'm doing) or as standalone works of art, like Alan Deniro is doing with Feu de Joie. (See that further down in the workshop forum.) Alan also wrote a great article on interactive fiction for the Science Fiction Writers of America magazine.

Comments

• Excellent, inspiring work good sir! I'm a writer myself just learning about Twine, its uses and capabilities and I consider viewing your great work a milestone in my journey. Again, well done!
  • Thanks, theinfamousa!
  • That is a seriously impressive work of interactive fiction. I loved the fact that you put in adventure game type puzzles--still chuckling over that fish. In general, the tone was quite funny (to me. I know humor is very subjective), and yes I will definitely be checking out your books.
  • Glad you liked it, Denny. Thanks for that feedback! Here's hoping other people find it amusing too.
  • [quote]Or maybe it's just that this is the way you take to gym class.

Daryl, please award yourself one self-esteem point.