Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TwinEdit: A list-view approach to organising Twee files

edited April 2015 in Workshop
I have been inspired by Twine for at least a year now, and having gone back to it just recently I decided to create a Windows application called TwinEdit. Because I have always criticised Twine for having a lack of organisation, I decided to create a project that would make it easier to organise Twine projects (yes, I am aware of StoryIncludes, but that's not the kind of organisation I am routing for), and produced something that looks like the below:

undefined

Most of the interface is self-explanatory apart from maybe search functionality and saving the categories properly.

In the modify category interface:

undefined

You will notice that the only way to save the information of the currently selected item is to click on another item in the list box. Clicking X in the corner after making changes will not save them. Also, just like Twine, Tags are separated by spaces, not commas.

Tags are a nice way to aid organising a project. Also, when creating a passage within that category, the tags of the category are automatically added to the Tags of the newly created passage, reducing a lot of the tedium that comes with organising Twine projects.

undefined

Editing passages are also just as easy as Twine, with the addition of syntax highlighting for HTML and JavaScript depending on what you are writing. You can also easily change categories when in the Passage Editor.

Building

Unfortunately, even while the Build function exists in this project (which requires Python 2.7 and the Twee Source Engine), I have experimented with it and conclude that it is not up-to-date and is riddled with compilation bugs. HTML markup does not render correctly and Sugarcane is stuck in Test mode.

I would highly recommend that you still use Twine 1.4 to use this project with, as the latest client builds everything correctly and as expected.

You can download the application from Github.

You will need the .NET Framework 4.5 installed, as this application is developed in C# (sorry Linux and Mac users). If I knew Python, I would have contributed to the original Twine project, but since I have little experience in it I thought I would create this instead.

Let me know if you have any issues or queries relating to this project! I have a video of a general overview of this project currently being uploaded to YouTube but it's going to take a while...

Thank you for your time.

Planned Features
Work with JSON data easier (there will be a form editor for creating JSON structures and the ability to add content based on such structures)
Possibly my own parsing engine (similar to that of RenPy) that will generate the Twine source code when you save the project
Integration of OpenFL and the ability to use the Haxe programming language as an alternative to produce Twine projects using the Twine engine as a backend.

**NOTE**: The above planned features are very ambitious and can take a while to create.

Video on how to use -