Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I get my story back?

Earlier today I was having issues with a website so I googled a solution and it told me to clear my cache. After I did that I went to go edit my Twine story but found that it disappeared completely from my browser. That was when I stupidly remembered that Twine stories are saved locally. So, I was wondering if there was any way to get it back? Is there a way to restore deleted cache files? Or anything? My story was for my final project in one of my college courses so I really need it back. I hadn't 'published to file' in a while so I lost a good chunk of my progress.

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Google about restoring your browser's cache. It's a similar process to recovering any lost file on your hard drive.

E.g. http://www.howtogeek.com/178277/htg-explains-does-clearing-your-browser-history-really-delete-it/

EDIT: With recovering files, the sooner you do it the better.
  • Hi Vinci,

I hope you were able to restore your cache and get your story back.

I try making it a habit of publishing to file before I close the browser after using twine 2. I wonder whether it is worth incorporating some feature where a reminder pops up when you try to close Twine asking you whether you want to publish to file?? I imagine something like that would prevent a lot of data loss, since clearing out caches in browsers is fairly common, and probably lots of twiners will do every now and then without thinking about the potential loss in work.

Just a thought.
  • edited April 2015
    Periodic Archiving is a helpful technique as well.
  • You can have more than one tab open at a time so just don't close your Twine tab.Then when you are done click Publish To File to save it and if you want it on your computer's main menu then click show in folder and then go to your libraries and in thee Downloads folder you will have your game then you click on the little name of your game/story then you will see a little option at the top that says Move To and so you will click on that and it will give you a set of choices to move it to and you should see a option that says Desktop so you will click that and if you don't see it then click Choose Location and it should give you every single folder title on your computer then you will see desktop.
  • You can have more than one tab open at a time so just don't close your Twine tab.Then when you are done click Publish To File to save it and if you want it on your computer's main menu then click show in folder and then go to your libraries and in thee Downloads folder you will have your game then you click on the little name of your game/story then you will see a little option at the top that says Move To and so you will click on that and it will give you a set of choices to move it to and you should see a option that says Desktop so you will click that and if you don't see it then click Choose Location and it should give you every single folder title on your computer then you will see desktop.