Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Use textinput Macro in Twine 2.0

edited May 2015 in Help! with 2.0
I've been butting my head against a wall for the last 24 hours trying to find a way to do simple textinput in Twine 2.0 (Harlowe). All my searches have come up with answers from the first version of Twine that aren't compatible with Twine 2 - I keep getting "Twine 2 macros use a different syntax to Twine 1 macros." as an error.

For example, the Twine wiki page for textinput says:
<<textinput $variable passage name >>

I get the aforementioned error, no matter what variations on that I have attempted. I've seen that prompt is an alternative to textinput, and I have gotten prompt to work, but I don't like the way prompt pops up a little box for input. I'd rather the textinput be right on the page. Is there a way to make textinput show up on the page (like in Twine 1) and work correctly without the error message about macro syntax, or am I just going to have to deal with prompt and the way it kind of takes you out of the game to ask for input?

Comments

• The Harlowe documentation is here.

Harlowe does not have a built-in equivalent to Twine 1's <<textinput>> macro, although it does have a (prompt:) macro which uses a prompt dialog to obtain a value.
    (put: (prompt: "What's your name?") into $name)
    Your name is $name.

There is this hack written by @csalzman which tries to get around this limitation of Harlowe.