Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine 1.4.2 or 2.0.4?

edited May 2015 in Chit-Chat
I've recently started using twine (some of you might have seen my question posts) the 2.0.4 version with SugarCube to be exact; and the more I use it the more I has mixed feeling about it.

So I've tried downloading twine 1.4.2 and fooled around a bit with it and the feeling I have with it are different.

So I was wondering if it was worth it to port my game made in 2.0.4 in 1.4.2 since I'm using SugarCube( I downloaded it in 1.4.2) i'm guessing I won't have to change any of my code.

But would I lose any good things that only 2.0.4 has or is planned to have in the near future.

Comments

• As having used both for some time, I would personally recommend v2. The HTML/CSS/JavaScript options in v2 are so much more flexible. I'd never go back to v1.4.
  • In my opinion the only three reasons (besides personal choice) to choose 2.x over 1.x are: a) if you want to use the Harlowe story format, b) if you want to run the editor on a tablet or c) you don't want to install a native application.

Otherwise in my experience there is little (if no) difference in an Authors ability to use HTML/CSS/JavaScript between the two versions.
  • RadOwl wrote: »
    So I was wondering if it was worth it to port my game made in 2.0.4 in 1.4.2 since I'm using SugarCube( I downloaded it in 1.4.2)

It's pretty much a personal choice.

I use custom javascript/html/css with SugarCube and 1.4.2 is ridiculously easy to work with.

I've tried porting some games to 2.0 and keep running into issues where functionality has not been implemented yet. I also don't like that 2.0 uses the browser cache and most likely won't be using 2.0 at all because of that regardless of functionality in the future.

Try implementing a small game or portion of a game in both and compare for yourself.

Good luck!
  • edited May 2015
    I'd consider reverting back to 1.4 just because of the easier way you can include GSAP. Although at this point, changing back is a bit of a pain. I think there's an easy way to convert SugarCube 1.4 stories to 2.0, but not the reverse.

It'd probably only take me an hour to copy paste all the passages I have, but ugh.
  • Claretta wrote: »
    I think there's an easy way to convert SugarCube 1.4 stories to 2.0, but not the reverse.
    There's the conversion utility I wrote, which takes a compiled HTML file from Twine 1.4 and converts it into a Twine 2 archive. I suppose I could extend the current converter to allow bidirectional conversions (1 ↔ 2).
  • In response to what I originally said, I personally find v2 easier and smoother to work with than v1.4 — including HTML/CSS/JavaScript. But I do realize this is a personal observation. For some reason, I found Harlowe much simpler to style/tweak/whatever than the 1.4 formats.
  • edited May 2015
    Claretta wrote: »
    I think there's an easy way to convert SugarCube 1.4 stories to 2.0, but not the reverse.
    There's the conversion utility I wrote, which takes a compiled HTML file from Twine 1.4 and converts it into a Twine 2 archive. I suppose I could extend the current converter to allow bidirectional conversions (1 ↔ 2).

Doing this manually now, so no need to do this on my account.

It's not too bad.

Already I'm liking 1.4 much more than 2, though. Seems much more snappy, and you can actually get full screen passage editing.
  • everyone who gave their input thank you, you helped me make an idea.

i'm currently copying my game in 1.4 and so far so good, i'll keep an eye on the 2.0 development and maybe will go back to it.

So again Thank You