Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I add quotation marks to a link?

I'm using Harlowe. I use the following code kind of code in my story (thanks to GreyElf).

(link: "Yes" )[(set: $KnowHobbes to "Yes")(goto: "Hobbes Description")]
(link: "No" )[(set: $KnowHobbes to "No")(goto: "Hobbes Description")]

I want "Yes" and "No" to be possible dialogue options for the player. That is, when the player sees "Yes" and "No" as links I want them to see quotation marks around the links so that it's clear that the option is dialogue.

I've tried using two sets of quotation marks, but that doesn't seem to work.

Thank you so much to anyone who reads this.

Comments

• Try this:
    (link: '"Yes"' )[(set: $KnowHobbes to "Yes")(goto: "Hobbes Description")]

Note the single quotes on the outside of the quoted word.
  • You could also use the <q> element. For example:
    (link: "<q>Yes</q>" )[(set: $KnowHobbes to "Yes")(goto: "Hobbes Description")]

The <q> element is nice for inline quotations because it allows you to set which quotation marks are used, via the quotes CSS property, and nests properly.
  • Thank both of you for the answers. I got distracted and forgot to come back and say thanks. Sorry about that.
  • You could also use the <q> element. For example:
    (link: "<q>Yes</q>" )[(set: $KnowHobbes to "Yes")(goto: "Hobbes Description")]

The <q> element is nice for inline quotations because it allows you to set which quotation marks are used, via the quotes CSS property, and nests properly.

Just want to say thanks for this! You helped me out before I even had to ask!