Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't get SugarCube to work locally

So, I'm kind of new to this, but I can't seem to get the locally hosted version of SugarCube to work. The documentation page has a download, but the zip doesn't seem to contain a .js file for the format. I found another download on motoslave, but it says

"Download the current local/offline version of SugarCube for Twine 2: (n.b. Temporarily removed pending reexamination of the process post-Twine 2.0.5. I'll try to have this back up, ASAP.)."

Is this something that I just happened to look for at exactly the wrong time, or will it be a while before a local version of SugarCube is available again?

Comments

• Yes, that is the page that has:

"Download the current local/offline version of SugarCube for Twine 2: (n.b. Temporarily removed pending reexamination of the process post-Twine 2.0.5. I'll try to have this back up, ASAP.)."

I was hoping someone would have some info as to how long it has been like that, and if it is something that I can expect to be resolved in the near future.
  • MadExile works pretty fast so I imagine won't be like that for long.

However, if you really want an offline version of SugarCube, consider using Twine 1.4.2. I think it's more optimized for offline use than Twine 2.0.5.
  • Ok. Thanks for your quick help guys, I appreciate it =)
  • It hasn't been overly long, no. And, yes, it should be resolved in the near future. I suppose I should add datestamps to things like that.

The reason it was temporarily removed is because the NW.js version of Twine 2 invalidated the instructions on how to install a local copy (beyond that, it comes with a preloaded local copy, so it's also unnecessary in most cases if you're using that version of Twine 2).

For the sake of non-NW.js versions of Twine 2, I'll try to get instructions compatible with both back up soon.

Tangentially, if you were using the NW.js version of Twine 2 (the native executable version) or the browser-based version locally on a desktop/laptop, then I'll echo what Claretta said. In such a scenario, Twine 2 isn't better than Twine 1.4 (it's actually lacking features), so that might be an option for you.
  • Thank you for the additional information sir.
  • The Twine 2 guides, for SugarCube 1.x & 2.x, have been updated.