Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Passage links are breaking partway through my story.

So, I'm writing a story in Harlowe. I have a passage link early in the story of the form
[[Begin->intro]]

This works, as do a few more of them. However, a few passages in, and suddenly other transitions of this type only give me a red link, even with a valid passage - arrows pointing to them and everything. All passages beyond this point have this issue as well.

Using link-goto itself works fine, but I'd rather just use the simpler passage link format because that's easier. What in my story could possibly break this format?

Comments

• If you're using the correct syntax, then I don't know. Can you post an HTML file?
  • If you're copy-pasting from Word, Google Docs, or any other word processor, ensure that you aren't getting line breaks auto inserted into the middle of your links. At least a few people have been bitten by that.
  • Sharpe wrote: »
    If you're using the correct syntax, then I don't know. Can you post an HTML file?

Sure.
  • After some testing it appear that the problem is caused by the underscores you are using within your passage names, if you replace the underscores then the Harlowe engine is able to find the id of the passage to link to.

I would guess it may be due to the fact that in some forms of search an underscore can also represent any char and if this is the case in this instance then it the passage search may be returning multiple results because your passage names are similar, but without actually looking at the Harlowe source code that is only a guess.
  • So, underscores in this cause things to break. Got it.

But then why doesn't the first one with an underscore cause it to break?
  • My guess is that up until your "md_no_intro" and "md_yes_intro" passages the start of each name is unique enough for the search to only find a single passage.
    eg. "intro", "intro_majordomo", "md_no_intro" and "md_yes_intro"

But once you get to "md_yes_scene1" the start of the names are very similar.
    eg. "md_yes_scene1", "md_yes_scene1_pentessa", "md_yes_scene1_castellan", etc...

This is assuming that my guess about what is happening with search and the underscore is correct.