Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Showing Different Text When A Character Tries To Get An Object She Already Has

Hi guys, very new to Twine and running into some difficulties. I searched the web and forums but I couldn't find an answer to my question, but sorry if it has been asked before etc. I don't mean to waste anyone's time. Anyway, here goes:

I want my character to have the option of returning to a room to get an object they already have, and when they do that, for a different set of text to show up. Here's what I've been trying to make work:

(if: $phone is true)[Oh wait, you already have your phone. Wake up, sleepyheadLet's get going! (else:) (set: $phone to true)(set: $phonecharge to "98%")]

[You grab your phone. $phonecharge battery. Looking good!
Grab some stuff

Go downstairs and wake up your friends

I've tried lots of variations but no matter what I do, when the character comes back to the room with their $phone variable set to true, the "You grab your phone" etc. text still shows up. What I want is for the character to only see "Oh wait, you already have your phone. Wake up, sleepyhead!" and then a link Let's get going! that takes them back to where they were. I know it sounds like a stupid thing - why would I even want this feature, right? - but to me it adds realism and depth if you can make your character do the 'wrong' thing without it breaking the game.

I'm sure there's just some kind of syntax that I'm missing out on so sorry for being a n00b, but any help would be greatly appreciated! This is a wonderful little game maker and I just want to get it to work. Many thanks for your answers and for taking the time to read this post.

Comments

• You had some brackets screwed up.
    (if: $phone is true)[

Oh wait, you already have your phone. Wake up, sleepyhead

[[Let's get going!]] 

]

(else:)[

(set: $phone to true)(set: $phonecharge to "98%")

You grab your phone. $phonecharge battery. Looking good!

[[Grab some stuff]]

[[Go downstairs and wake up your friends]]

]

• Thank you! This fixed it right up (and makes sense too, guess I was looking so hard I just couldn't see it).

I suspect I'll be back soon with more dumb questions :)