Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to integrate a trait/simple RPG style format in Sugarcube

edited August 2015 in Help! with 2.0
So I've been brainstorming a couple of ideas I've had about the direction I want to move my project in. I've decided I want to give it a bit more immersion and range by giving the player the option of picking from various balances of boons and weaknesses. I'm not quite sure yet how to present this in an interesting fashion from the main menu, however I do have a various idea of how this could work, just not the exact code obviously.

Say there is a random encounter whilst exploring one of the areas...

Your eyes squint as the sun peers at you over the ridges of the mountainous wrecks that are sprawled before you.

A machine searches the area for you.

This encounter relies on a variety of integers. I know that these examples of code won't work in the slightest, I am using them as easy to interpret example as I don't know the exact code/how to implement this sort of style properly.

<<Hide.>>

<</if 'Human Chameleon' trait picked then this button is not hidden>>
Hide and Blend in to your surroundings

The Random number generator roll for hide would be lower than human chameleon. The chances for an action to succeed (for simplicity's sake) could be out of 100 or so (like a percentage).

Alternatively there could be stats, although I quite like the idea of this system.

The RNG would roll theoretical dice for your success anyway, making sure it is always a number between 25 and 60

Hide adds a number 15-40 to the number after it has been rolled (e.g 54 +24)

Human chameleon on the other hand, adds a number from 30-60.

From here the action could move to a different passage displaying different information etc.. Represented by RNG ~

Any number below 50: You are spotted. (A timed passage appears from which your choices are limited depending upon the severity of the encounter. But as I am placing this in a horror/survival RPG archetype, fighting would only be a valid option with weapons/ correct attributes etc. In a few seconds though, fighting/dying would be the only option. When the machine appears the passage becomes timed anyway)

Any number below 65: The machine's metallic optic fixes on your location as it attempts to scan for your presence.

(from here other options would be available, among them would be "Stay still/Wait" (effectively a re-roll). More time would be allowed for this response, either way the RNG would be rolled again etc..

Human chameleon could also effectively use a modified re-roll (+20) ,which adds to the two numbers previous; 'Monitor Breathing')

Any number below 80: The machine stops in it's tracks, rerunning it's analytical procedures.

(from here, again, other options would be available, among them would be "Stay still/Wait" (effectively a re-roll). More time would be allowed for this response, either way the RNG (with different variables) would be rolled again etc..

Human chameleon could also effectively use a modified re-roll (+20) ,which adds to the two numbers previous; 'Monitor Breathing')

Any number above 80 The machine fails to spot anything out of the ordinary and continues to patrol it's designated path.

(no timed response for this and no RNG. the encounter ends with a link back to the original passage/point and you are back in the same location.)

It's early days for my project yet, but if I was able to get my head round the coding side of things sooner, I think I'd feel more comfortable with the software in future. I know it's not the most simple of ideas, but I'd love to hear any input you guys would have on this. I'd like to thank you all regardless. You've helped me a lot before, can't imagine where my story would be right now If I hadn't found this slice of heaven :P hehe

Comments

• Having traits of varying types is easily doable. Integrating random results is easily doable. You need to narrow down what exactly what you want to do first, however, otherwise anyone trying to help you will just be shooting into the wind.
  • I have managed to implement a working RNG and random encounter system already, but as you know am having difficulties implementing my personal version of the trait menu via <<cyclinglink>>