Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More efficient version of "$var = $var + 1" ?

I mainly use Sugarcube. What happens is I often write <<set $var = $var + 1>>, but the $var changes very often. Rather than having to re-name both variables, is there a function like <<set $var += 1>> or something similar, where I only have to name it (thus re-name it for different instances) once, and still have the effect be the same?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• edited August 2015
    If I understand correctly, you want a macro who increment the value of a specific variable?

This on Javascript sheet
    macros.add("Variable",{
    	version: {major:1, minor:0, patch:0},
    	skipArgs : true,
    	handler : function() {
    		state.active.variables["VariableName"] +=1;
    	}
    });

And this on passage
    <<set $VariableName to 0>>
    <<VariableName>>

And VariableName grows +1

I hope that helps ;)
  • Klain wrote: »
    If I understand correctly, you want a macro who increment the value of a specific variable?

This on Javascript sheet
    macros.add("Variable",{
    	version: {major:1, minor:0, patch:0},
    	skipArgs : true,
    	handler : function() {
    		state.active.variables["VariableName"] +=1;
    	}
    });

And this on passage
    <<set $VariableName to 0>>
    <<VariableName>>

And VariableName grows +1

I hope that helps ;)

I would like something that increases a given variable without having to write it out twice. in <<set $var = $var + 1>>, you have to write $var twice.

I have a lot of variables with different names. So if I wanted to copy and paste the long string of code I had, I'd have to replace $var with $var2 in two positions, because I've written $var twice.

If I had something like <<set $var +=1>> then it would increase the variable and I would only have to re-write $var once, because it's only been written once.

I'm going to change the name of $var often, but I would rather not have to correct it twice for every time.

I'm not sure if this is possible with Twine's limitations but it's a java function, which Twine is based on, so I'm holding out hope.
  • Is something like <<set $var = self + 1>> possible?

<<set $var1 = self + 1>>
    <<set $var2 = self + 1>>
    <<set $var3 = self + 1>>
    <<set $var4 = self + 1>>

Rather than having to write out each variable twice
  • Try these examples:
    /* Add 1 to $variable. */
    <<set $variable += 1>>

/* Add 5 to $variable. */
    <<set $variable += 5>>

/* Subtract 1 from $variable. */
    <<set $variable -= 1>>

/* Subtract 5 from $variable. */
    <<set $variable -= 5>>

Alternatively, if you simply need to increment or decrement the $variable by 1, then you could also do this:
    /* Increment $variable by 1. */
    <<set $variable++>>

/* Decrement $variable by 1. */
    <<set $variable-->>

• edited August 2015
    You might say every time the player fires a shot, a bullet is used. You could do that like this:
    <<set $gun.ammo = $gun.ammo - 1>>
    or
    <<set $gun.ammo -= 1>>

via http://twinery.org/forum/discussion/1516/objects-are-your-friends-how-why-to-use-javascript-objects-for-total-newbies
  • Try these examples:
    /* Add 1 to $variable. */
    <<set $variable += 1>>

/* Add 5 to $variable. */
    <<set $variable += 5>>

/* Subtract 1 from $variable. */
    <<set $variable -= 1>>

/* Subtract 5 from $variable. */
    <<set $variable -= 5>>

Alternatively, if you simply need to increment or decrement the $variable by 1, then you could also do this:
    /* Increment $variable by 1. */
    <<set $variable++>>

/* Decrement $variable by 1. */
    <<set $variable-->>

I swear on my life I tried that in Twine 2.0.8 before asking the question and it didn't work, but copying and pasting your example does. I'm a little irked the answer was this "right in front of me" the whole time, but that doesn't matter because it works now, and my problem's been solved. Thank you.