Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine crashes importing large HTML

I got a HTML file for a game I lost the .tw file. Unfortunately I can't import this file due to its size of about 80MB. Any idea how to get the HTML to a format that I can work on again? I already tried this HTML to Twee converter it always gives me an error because of the filesize.
The game is made with Twine 1.4.2 on Sugarcane

Comments

• edited September 2015
    This is one of the problems with embedding images with a story project instead of using external image files.

TheMadExile created a utility named tweego which includes a -d option to create a twee file from a story HTML file, it may be able to handle a large file. After you have downloaded/installed the utility the command to use would look something like the following:
    tweego -d yourstory.html -o yourstory.twee

... you need to replace the yourstory.html part with the actual name of your story HTML file, similar with the yourstory.twee part except you would change the html part of the file name to twee.
  • this worked partly. I can now open the created .twee with Twine and I can see all pictures. but the text is all gibberish... damnit
  • edited September 2015
    Can you just snip the images from the html file in a html editor like Notepad++?

I thought HTML was just a text format, not an image container, so I'm confused as to how images would actually get "in" the html file unless they were converted to Base64, which could just be snipped out with a text editor since base64 is very easy to spot - just look for the huge lines of gibberish within the passage text and delete.
  • edited September 2015
    They are converted to Base64. Anyways, you cant extract the pictures from the HTML without breaking it because they are stored in a single div container. The .twee file I created thanks to greyelf showed me all the single pictures but all text and other code apart from the images is broken / messed up. Not sure why it is converted in such a strange way.

Edit: TweeGo tells me "Start" and "StoryTitle" passges are missing although they are definitely there...
  • edited September 2015
    They are converted to Base64. Anyways, you cant extract the pictures from the HTML without breaking it because they are stored in a single div container.

I'm not sure I understand. You can edit anything in a HTML file so you can just delete that div surely? In fact, if they're all together that would make removing them much easier.

I'm meaning opening the file in notepad, selecting the offending area of text, and hitting the delete key. You'd lose the images but would get the text back.

It sounds like the whole thing should be redone from the ground up to keep the images external anyway, so I don't think using the Base64 images is salvageable in any way.
  • edited September 2015
    It sounds like either an encoding issue (probably not likely, though possible) or you were using the obfuscation option.

Is this something you can share?
  • Thats it, TheMadExile! I completely forgot the ROT13 encryption... shame on me! Now I'm able to use the file again! Thanks folks!