Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Teen Twine Class

I am hosting a program at my local library that engages teens to make games with Twine. I am looking for a few samples to get get them motivated and help them understand what can be done with Twine. We will be using Harlowe, but samples in any story format are fine.

The beginning part of this class will be about using Twine to create branching narratives. I want to illustrate the importance of player agency. The most technical we will probably get is using variables and some basic CSS formatting.

I am looking for some short or medium length Twine works that are not overly complex (technically speaking) that will be interesting to teens. They do not have to be a branching narratives, but I want to emphasize player interaction. Barely interactive stories are not good for this.

Castle Doomstone is a classic. I also like Beware The Faerie Food You Eat, and Aquarium.

Comments

• Also, below is my itinerary for the program. It is a draft right now. If anyone has any thoughts about it, please share. Thanks!

Introduction to Game Making: Interactive Stories with Twine

Summary

In this program, teens explore game design by creating digital interactive stories with Twine. Twine is an open-source engine for writing interactive text (called “hypertext”). Although it is quite flexible, Twine is often used to make branching narratives similar to the Choose Your Own Adventure series of books.

Twine features its own scripting language, but also utilizes HTML and CSS. With Twine, teens can create interactive games, stories, or poetry using text, images, variables, and conditional logic. Works made in Twine are published to HTML.

The program will be 4 sessions, each up to 3 hours. 6 students can be supported. Each session will have instruction, demonstrations, and supervised working time. By the end of the program, the teens will have created their own Twine work and developed skills to continuing using Twine on their own.

Itinerary

Day 1

10 minutes: The scope and expectations of the program will be discussed. Teens will be introduced to Twine.

10 minutes: Teens will be shown a sample Twine work called “Big City Interactive Fate Machine”.

30 minutes: Twine’s rudimentary functions will be demonstrated. Teens will begin creating passages of text and linking them together.

10 minutes: “Big City Interactive Fate Machine” will be used as an example of how to structure a work in Twine.

2 hours: Teens have supervised work time. This would be an ideal time to ask questions, read other Twine works, or create a Twine project. Latecomers will receive personal instruction at this time. A suggested Twine reading list will be provided.

Day 2

15 minutes: Content from previous day will be reviewed.

15 minutes: Various game design concepts will be discussed. Foremost will be “player agency” (How to provide players meaningful interactions that impact the direction of the game).

30 minutes: Twine features will be demonstrated, such as inserting images and formatting with HTML and CSS.

2 hours: Teens have supervised work time. This would be an ideal time to ask questions, read other Twine works, or create a Twine project. Latecomers will receive personal instruction at this time. A suggested Twine reading list will be provided.

Day 3

15 minutes: Content from previous day will be reviewed.

15 minutes: Teens will be shown a sample Twine work called “Nuclear Fire at Castle Treachery”.

30 minutes: “Nuclear Fire at Castle Treachery” will be used to demonstrate variable and conditional logic.

Day 4

90 minutes: Teens have supervised work time. This would be an ideal time to ask questions, read other Twine works, or create a Twine project. Latecomers will receive personal instruction at this time. A suggested Twine reading list will be provided.

30 minutes: Teens will read Twine works created by their peers and offer critiques.

• I am interested, how did it go? I also work with kids.