Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back to previous passage link

edited November 2015 in Help! with 2.0
I've tried and tried - pretty much blindly - to do this. I've also searched the forum rigorously for the answer, and while I found some related threads, I can't figure out how to do it.

I'm using SugarCube v1, and have a link in the sidebar called Inventory. This takes the user to a list of objects they're carrying (still need to work out how to tell the game when a player picks up an object, but that's a question all of its own).

I want a link on that inventory page, at the bottom of the list of objects, that says 'Back' (or whatever) where 'back' returns the player to the previous passage. How do I do this?

This software is great, but I'm discovering the claim that 'no coding knowledge is required', is a little... shall we say, misleading, particularly if you want your game to do anything other than move players from room to room.

Comments

• There are several ways to do it. Here are the two simplest.

Try the previous() function:
    [[Return|previous()]]

Or the <<return>> macro:
    <<return>>

• edited November 2015
    I swear I tried the <<return>> as I found it in the SG tutorial?

Anyway, that works, but the first option auto-creates an additional passage on close and sends the player there, rather than back to the previous passage.

It's a shame the first doesn't work, as I wanted to use 'Close' instead of 'Return' or 'Back'

I've successfully hid the little arrow icon using CSS, but is there a way to change the wording of 'Return'?
  • Jud_Casper wrote: »
    I swear I tried the <<return>> as I found it in the SG tutorial?

Anyway, that works, but the first option auto-creates an additional passage on close and sends the player there, rather than back to the previous passage.

It's a shame the first doesn't work, as I wanted to use 'Close' instead of 'Return' or 'Back'
    Just delete the auto created passage, the previous() link will work correctly when you Test / Play / Publish to File the story.

note: Twine 2 currently does not support any link types besides the standard ones, so sometimes it will incorrectly auto create unwanted passages.
  • To add to what greyelf said, if a passage called "previous()" exists then previous() will take you to that. If it doesn't exist then it will take you back to the previous passage.
  • edited November 2015
    To add to what greyelf said, if a passage called "previous()" exists then previous() will take you to that. If it doesn't exist then it will take you back to the previous passage.

That's not the case, prof_yaffle. It auto-creates a passage called 'Previous'. Unless you were just emphasising the fact that I needed to delete the passage it created?

greyelf. Thanks. Deleting the passage it created worked. This also allows me to use 'Close' as I wanted.
  • Jud_Casper wrote: »
    To add to what greyelf said, if a passage called "previous()" exists then previous() will take you to that. If it doesn't exist then it will take you back to the previous passage.

That's not the case, prof_yaffle. It auto-creates a passage called 'Previous'. Unless you were just emphasising the fact that I needed to delete the passage it created?

Yes, I was just pointing out why deleting the auto-created passage would make it work.