Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Remove Blank Space/Hidden Text?

edited December 2015 in Help! with 2.0
I am sorry if this has been answered 20 times before, but I couldn't seem to search the right terms to find it...

Fairly frequently I write a passage in which several things can happen, based upon conditions that need to be met or random chance. For example: If rolled 1, show "TEXT". If 2, show "OTHER TEXT". However, if Roll 2 occurs, the player sees a blank space at the top of the passage equal to the size of the hidden text that would only be revealed if Roll 1 occurred.

How can I shore up blank space/hidden text?

Edit: I found out not long after posting that bracketing the entire condition section reduces said entire section into 1 line of space if the conditions were not met. However, if you have several possible condition sections in a single passage in a row, that adds up to 1 blank line per bracketed/hidden section. So you can still end up with, say, 5 blank lines before any text (with its conditions met) appears. Is there any way to shore that up?

Comments

• You need to state which story format you are using, as answers can be different for each one. Based on your "bracketing the entire condition section" statement I am going to assume you are using Harlowe.

All the story formats automatically convert each line-break you add to the contents of a passage into a HTML br element, and each story format has it's own method(s) to helping you reduce/remove extra line-breaks. The simplest method that works for all story format is to use less line-breaks in the passage contents.

As you have already found out, Harlowe method is to wrap content in open { and } close curly braces, this tells the engine in Harlowe to wrap the generated HTML content in a tw-collapsed element and to remove all line-breaks found.
    {(set: $var to "value")
    (if: $var is "other value")[
    This text should not appear.
    ]
    (else:)[
    This text should appear,
     it should be on the first line of the passage and
     it should appear as one line that may wrap.
    ]}