Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hack to emulate choice in twine 2 & Harlowe

edited December 2015 in Help! with 2.0
Thought I'd share a hacky way to emulate "choice" in twine 2 & Harlowe.

The game I'm working on is in the format of a diary, with the player making choices in the page, which reveal the result of the choice, hides the other not-chosen choices, and reveals a link to continue to the next diary page. So I'm breaking with the "every passage is a new page" paradigm...

Major caveats with this code are;
a) it reloads the current page
b) be careful or you'll throw an infinite loop which will lock up a browser
c) after digging into Harlowe a bit more there look to be more elegant ways of doing this (but they are all hacky)
Blah blah  blah  blah  blah  blah  blah.
(if: $chosen is 0)[ \

Choose an option:
(set: $opt1 = "I got 80% in computing")
1. (link: $opt1)[ (set: $com += 1) (set: $chosen = $opt1) (goto: "diary11")
] \
(set: $opt2 = "I got 73% in Physical Sports")
2. (link: $opt2)[ (set: $phy += 1) (set: $chosen = $opt2) (goto: "diary11")
] \
(set: $opt3 = "I got 88% in Science")
3. (link: $opt3)[ (set: $sci += 1) (set: $chosen = $opt3) (goto: "diary11")
] \
(set: $opt4 = "I failed everything but who cares")
3. (link: $opt4)[ (set: $cha += 1) (set: $chosen = $opt4) (goto: "diary11")
] \

] \
(else:)[
**$chosen**
(if: $chosen is $opt1)[(set: $chosen = 0)Mr Smith said i could be an Programmer when i grow up.]
(if: $chosen is $opt2)[(set: $chosen = 0)Mr Smith said i should keep practicing and i will grow up strong.]
(if: $chosen is $opt3)[(set: $chosen = 0)Mr Smith said i got a very good score, and maybe one day I could be a Chemist]
(if: $chosen is $opt4)[(set: $chosen = 0)Dad was gonna be angry so went home late.]
[[Continue|diary12]]
]

Note all the goto: "diary11" -- "diary11" should be changed to the name of your current passage. In the Continue link is, of course, the name of the next passage. $opt1-4 are the descriptions of the options the player can choose from.

In these choices, the player is a child picking their exam result and getting an appropriate message displayed. The variables $com $sci $phy and $cha are arbitrary variables I use elsewhere and not related to this solution (they are skills improved by the player's choice), but show you how to set unrelated variables as a result of the choice.

Not the most elegant solution but maybe ppl will find it useful.

Comments

• Well done, one small suggestion which will make it a little easier for you to cut-n-paste your code from passage to passage.
    gorse wrote: »
    Note all the goto: "diary11" -- "diary11" should be changed to the name of your current passage.
    Harlowe includes the (passage:) macro which can be used to obtain the current passage's name.

A slightly modified version of your example, note the inclusion of the $here variable and it's usage in the (goto:) macros.
    Blah blah  blah  blah  blah  blah  blah.
    (if: $chosen is 0)[ \
    {(set: $here to (passage:)'s name)
    }
    Choose an option:
    (set: $opt1 = "I got 80% in computing")
    1. (link: $opt1)[ (set: $com += 1) (set: $chosen = $opt1) (goto: $here)
    ] \
    (set: $opt2 = "I got 73% in Physical Sports")
    2. (link: $opt2)[ (set: $phy += 1) (set: $chosen = $opt2) (goto: $here)
    ] \
    (set: $opt3 = "I got 88% in Science")
    3. (link: $opt3)[ (set: $sci += 1) (set: $chosen = $opt3) (goto: $here)
    ] \
    (set: $opt4 = "I failed everything but who cares")
    3. (link: $opt4)[ (set: $cha += 1) (set: $chosen = $opt4) (goto: $here)
    ] \

] \
    (else:)[
    **$chosen**
    (if: $chosen is $opt1)[(set: $chosen = 0)Mr Smith said i could be an Programmer when i grow up.]
    (if: $chosen is $opt2)[(set: $chosen = 0)Mr Smith said i should keep practicing and i will grow up strong.]
    (if: $chosen is $opt3)[(set: $chosen = 0)Mr Smith said i got a very good score, and maybe one day I could be a Chemist]
    (if: $chosen is $opt4)[(set: $chosen = 0)Dad was gonna be angry so went home late.]
    [[Continue|diary12]]
    ]