Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine survey: which version of Twine are we using? RESULTS (January 2016)

edited February 2016 in Chit-Chat
A while back I posted a survey to find out what versions of Twine everyone was using. Here, for your consideration, are the results. Thanks to everyone who filled it out and suggested updates to the questions!

(Thinking about doing this again in the future. Let me know if you have any suggestions for new questions!)

Comments

• edited February 2016
    This is interesting! I didn't think the majority of users would use Harlowe, purely based on the forum posts here.
  • Melyanna wrote: »
    ... purely based on the forum posts here.
    Most of the posts on these forums are from people having problems/issues doing something, so if a person is not having problems then you may not know they exist.
  • I also was surprised by the majority using Twine 2/Harlowe, because it seems like every time I want to look up how to do something, I either find a tutorial in Twine 1 or a forum post that only works for Sugarcube/Twine2.
  • Most people know enough to use the latest version of something. Pity we won't be able to do a followup on the number of folks who lost one or more stories because they didn't understand how Twine 2 was storing them...
  • Have to echo some of the documentation comments. The knowledge base is so scattered, for me just starting out, it's been hard to find the right information especially if you're looking to do something beyond the basics. Thank goodness for folks here in the forum but I really hate asking for help.
  • Melyanna wrote: »
    This is interesting! I didn't think the majority of users would use Harlowe, purely based on the forum posts here.

Agreed. My gut explanation would be that most of us are going to go with the default choice unless we have a strong reason to do otherwise. Also, most Twine users are probably forum lurkers (or haven't even been on the forums), fewer are forum posters.

That raises another interesting question: We only posted this on the forum and Twitter. Perhaps if we put it on the Twine webpage, or Twine itself, we'd get a whole new set of respondents. The 97% knowing about story formats was surprising to me...
  • edited February 2016
    The 97% knowing about story formats was surprising to me...
    It surprised me as well until I remembered that people on these forums are informed about there being different story formats when they ask a question without stating which one they are using, and that the survey only covers the people on these forums that bothered to participate in the survey.
  • Great! Thanks for Twee2 info. I knew there should be such thing.
  • While filling out the survey and writing a long comment, I really thought you were *that* Chris... Ops.