Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone else gone back to Twine 1 after experimenting with Twine2?

Hey folks. Not sure if you guys have had the same experience as me, but after experimenting a bit with Twine 2, I've gone back to mucking about in Twine1. It just doesn't seem like the functionality is there yet to do the things I want to do (i.e. background music is extremely difficult to implement in Harlowe, but SugarCube doesn't seem to support <<timedgoto>>). Am I just a moron who's not able to realize the potential of the new version?

Comments

• I'm going to bypass the main theme here and address the SugarCube comment. If you're referring to Leon's <<timedgoto>> macro, then no, it doesn't support SugarCube.

In SugarCube v2+ (not currently included with Twine 2), you'd use a combination of the <<timed>>
    and <<goto>> macros. For example:
    <<timed 5s>><<goto "Dat Passage">><</timed>>

In SugarCube v1.x (included with Twine 2), which does not include any timed action macros, you could use something like the following, which works exactly like the <<goto>> macro save that it also requires a second argument for the delay: (goes in Story JavaScript)
    /*! <<timedgoto>> macro for SugarCube 1.x */
    !function(){if(version&&"SugarCube"===version.title&&version.major>1)throw new Error("<<timedgoto>> macro requires SugarCube 1.x (using "+version.short()+"), aborting load; instead, use a combination of the <<timed>> and <<goto>> macros");macros.add("timedgoto",{timer:null,handler:function(){if(this.args.length<2){var errors=[];return this.args.length<1&&errors.push("passage"),this.args.length<2&&errors.push("time value"),this.error("no "+errors.join(" or ")+" specified")}var passage,delay=Math.max(40,Util.fromCSSTime(String(this.args[1]).trim()));return passage="object"==typeof this.args[0]?this.args[0].link:this.args[0],tale.has(passage)?(null!==this.self.timer&&(clearTimeout(this.self.timer),this.self.timer=null),void function(self,turnId){self.timer=setTimeout(function(){self.timer=null,turnId===state.length&&state.display(passage)},delay)}(this.self,state.length)):this.error('passage "'+passage+'" does not exist')}})}();

Usage:
    <<timedgoto "Dat Passage" 5s>>

• NOICE! You're a peach. Thank you.
  • Nope. Twine 2 is still a work in progress and has a couple of major issues it needs to address before it can be considered a replacement for Twine 1.
  • Same here. The first Twine 2 versions could only be run inside my browser, even now I have no control about where my work is properly saved. That really alienated me and still does - including the limited functionality.

I'm still not sure where in Twine 2 the great progress should be... or why it was created and Twine 1 was ditched by the developer. I really like the GUI and functionality of the Twine 1 application and I'm still sure it was a mistake to stop developing this program. Twine 2 seems a lot of artificial hype and "something really new and colourful was needed - just because" to me.
  • edited April 2016
    I definitely prefer the "desktop application" feel of Twine 1 (along with its default color scheme) to Twine 2's "web widget" feel, though I have to admit that Twine 2 does seem a lot more responsive than it once did, and has picked up some nice features (while also seemingly losing some others).

On balance it's still Twine 1 for me.
  • Hey folks. Not sure if you guys have had the same experience as me, but after experimenting a bit with Twine 2, I've gone back to mucking about in Twine1. It just doesn't seem like the functionality is there yet to do the things I want to do (i.e. background music is extremely difficult to implement in Harlowe, but SugarCube doesn't seem to support <<timedgoto>>). Am I just a moron who's not able to realize the potential of the new version?

I'm not familiar with what it offers over 1.4, other than the in-browser thing. Does it have features that set it apart? I tried 2.0 once when I first started to use Twine and immediately consigned it to the dust bin because the story-viewing format for actually making stories seems so much worse. It's just not very "work-a-day" for my purposes.
  • edited April 2016
    I just today began moving a fairly far along project back to Twine 1. This is almost entirely due to StoryIncludes.

The ability to separate out pieces of the game is incredibly useful to me.

It finally boiled over today when I realized I was greatly over complicating my code just to avoid adding another box.

Thankfully I was using Sugarcube 2, so other than some weirdness with ending ifs and nobrs it was a quick process.
  • @LeeGregory
    LeeGregory wrote: »
    Thankfully I was using Sugarcube 2, so other than some weirdness with ending ifs and nobrs it was a quick process.
    If I may ask, what weirdness? SugarCube 2's markup is the same regardless of Twine version (1 or 2).
  • @LeeGregory
    If I may ask, what weirdness? SugarCube 2's markup is the same regardless of Twine version (1 or 2).

I copied all working passages from Twine2 to Twine1.

All <<if>> <</if>> and <<nobr>> <</nobr>> had an error. I forget the exact phrase, but it was stating there was no ending markup. However, thanks to my brilliant use of inconsistent notation I notified that if statements ending with <<endif>> worked fine. I used replace to replace all of the /if with endif. Same with nobr. It worked after that.

I honestly just assumed it was a font problem. Similar to trying to paste "" marks from Word into any code. Though, since it was an easy fix I didn't give it much thought.

If you'd like the exact error I can easily replicate it tomorrow and post. Though I'm assuming it was a Twine issue. Or user error ie something weird I did.

This does remind me. The ability to replace across the whole document is awesome in Twine 1.

• LeeGregory wrote: »
    If you'd like the exact error I can easily replicate it tomorrow and post. Though I'm assuming it was a Twine issue. Or user error ie something weird I did.
    I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
  • edited April 2016
    I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Errors:

In Twine 1 app:
    The macro tag <<if $luggagetalk eq 0>> does not have a matching end tag.

In test play:
    I can't find a matching <<endif>>
    No macro or passage called "/if"

The passage works fine in Twine 2 testing, no errors in either the test play or the app. No changes were made to the code beyond copying and pasting.

Fixing it was simply replacing <</if>> with <<endif>>. All errors went away, passage worked.

Addition:

Twine 2 I was using SugarCube 2 2.3.1
    Twine 1 is SugarCube 2.5
  • edited April 2016
    @LeeGregory
    Errors:

In Twine 1 app:
    The macro tag <<if $luggagetalk eq 0>> does not have a matching end tag.

In test play:
    I can't find a matching <<endif>>
    No macro or passage called "/if"

As I suspected, the errors tell the tale. You are not actually using SugarCube (any version) in Twine 1. The in-play errors, in particular, come from one of the Twine 1 vanilla story formats, most likely Sugarcane.

You may have SugarCube v2.5.0 installed in Twine 1, but you have not properly selected it as the story format for your project—again, you're likely using Sugarcane by default. I'd really suggest switching to SugarCube, as it seems was your original intention. Installed properly, it will show up in the story format list as "Sugarcube-2".
  • edited April 2016
    As I suspected, the errors tell the tale. You are not actually using SugarCube (any version) in Twine 1. The in-play errors, in particular, come from one of the Twine 1 vanilla story formats, most likely Sugarcane.

You may have SugarCube v2.5.0 installed in Twine 1, but you have not properly selected it as the story format for your project—again, you're likely using Sugarcane by default. I'd really suggest switching to SugarCube, as it seems was your original intention. Installed properly, it will show up in the story format list as "Sugarcube-2".

I was ready to be outraged and screenshot that I do in fact have Sugarcube 2 installed and selected. Fortunately I paused.

I have SugarCube 2 selected in the first Twine 1 project, but I copied over the Twine 2 passages into multiple Twine 1 projects, only the first did I remember to select SugarCube 2. In hindsight the first project had no errors in the copying process, it was the rest that were erroring up the ass.

So, back on topic, the only issue I've had in returning to Twine 1 from Twine 2 (so far) is user error. At least when using Sugarcube 2 for both projects.

Also, thanks for noticing MadExile, it's nice to have everything working right.
  • I stared learning Twine just before v2 was released, and I can't switch now. The main reason for me is the lack of image embedding, I know you can still do images with v2, but I do primarily image based work so being able to embed them makes keeping track of what is where much MUCH easier.

I've also just started using a bit of audio scripting that utilises the image embedding to embed sounds, which thus wouldn't work on v2. I ran a small class in Twine a month ago and for that I specifically requested that the students download v1 because of how it handles images.
  • @procrasty
    A warning about embedding images in Twine 1, if the size of your project becomes too large then the Twine application will run out of memory while trying to build your story HTML file. The exact size when this starts happening is not known but it is has been known to occur between 50-80MBs
  • @greyelf
    Ta for the heads-up there. Thankfully I'm in a style that means my image files are kept pretty small (my last project had 42 images in it, and came in at under 3mb) so I should be safe unless my projects start getting very very epic :D