Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I define story objects more gooder?

edited March 2016 in Help! with 2.0
So I just started with twine, and I went ahead and installed (I think the latest) v2.
Deciding "Okay, let's keep this simple", I tested a few variables to get the hang of it. Stuff like
<<set $timeOfDay to 1>>
They worked and it seemed easy enough.
Which brings me to my current issue: Try as I might, I simply can't get sugarcube to define a twine story object.
Every piece of information I've seen suggests that I simply type
<<set $person to {
name:"John Smith",
}>>
and then after that I can modify it by writing stuff like
<<set $person.name to "Joe Smith">>
but any time I attempt to do that, even immediately below the original definition, results in a bad expression: Cannot read property name of undefined.
I feel like I've tried everything at this point, but obviously I haven't because even after an hour of searching here and on google and replicating the exact syntax of other people's solutions, there's still something stupid I'm doing.

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm using Sugarcube 1.0.34.

Comments

• Well, after much messing around I fixed it. Apparently, the error wasn't to do with my object at all, but instead to do with the <<silently>> tag. I have since switched to <<nobr>> and the bug seems to be fixed.
  • @Gorlath
    You should mark this question as answered so it stops appearing in the Unanswered category.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    @Gorlath
    You should mark this question as answered so it stops appearing in the Unanswered category.

Sorry, it didn't give me the option to mark my own reply as an answer.