Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Test passages by jumping around in browser?

I know this is a cheat giveaway, but I need to jump to specific passages to see them in my browser rather than Twine's own Test story preview. This is especially important to see how background images look, as those do not show in the Test story window. I'm using Harlowe.

Is this possible? If not, how am I supposed to solve the preview-with-background-image issue -- my game is way too long to play to the points I want to preview. Using save slots sorta works but it's a poor solution. I wish Twine had, test story from this passage in browser...

Comments

• The following is one of the methods I use to debug/test other peoples stories to resolve their issues, it may help you.

1. Download a local copy of the web-browser based release of Twine 2 which are available on the project's Downloads page. They are the ZIP files who's file-names do not contain an operating system, as of this comment it is the twine_2.0.11.zip file.

2. Extract the content of the downloaded ZIP file onto my hard-drive and open the contained index.html file within a web-browser.

3. Use the Import From File option to add the Story I want to debug from either an Archive HTML file (created via the Archive option) or a Story HTML (created via the Publish to File option)

4. Open the relevant story and use either the Test or the Test story starting here option.

If you need to set-up variables/code so that you can test something a little more complex then you can add a debug-startup tagged passage to the story and place your set-up code within it.

warning: At the time of Harlowe 1.2.2 the debug-startup tagged passage gets process before the startup tagged passage which means that if you use a (goto:) macro within the debug-startup passage to change which passage is shown first then the code in the startup passage will not get processed. You can fix this problem by using a (display:) macro to include your startup tagged passage at the top of your debug-startup tagged passage. The process order of the debug-startup and startup tagged passages has been changed in the Harlowe source code so the (display:) macro solution will not be needed whenever that fix is released.