Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of backup might one use with Twine 2?

I was thinking of having some system to back up my Twine story files. One problem is, though, I'm using the desktop client, which means I can't control where the files are saved - so I can't save it in the directory where the repository is stored. (Sorry - I'm very new to this) So... I don't know. How do you all back up your Twine projects?

Comments

• Ninety percent of my stories are actually saved direct to my Google Drive account because I tend to develop stuff over several machines, and it means that if I alter something on one machine it will automatically sync up with the other machines. You will need the Google Drive desktop client (other cloud storage services are available ;-) ) otherwise you'll end up having to transfer stuff through the web interface.

Simply install it and it will create a folder in your user directory called "Google Drive" and then all you need to is create a sub-directory called Twine (or whatever) and then you can create sub-sub-directories for your Twine files and assets. You also get about 15GB free so it's loads of space.

I do use Twine 1 and not 2, but assuming it saves in a similar way then it should be easy enough to do.
  • Mm hm, I figured that I'd sync files to Dropbox (I have 50 GB with my phone), but because the output file for Twine 2 is equivalent to the story file, I went to "Publish to File" and saved that in Bitbucket.
  • edited May 2016
    The simplest way, to my mind, is to 'Publish to File'. Since Twine 2 can reimport html files exactly and doesn't use a separate file format as such, this is exactly like using 'Save As' in any other program, while 'Import From File' is exactly the same as 'Open'.

Then you treat the html files like any other document you would back up in any normal way.