Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Publishing as share-able file

When I choose "Publish to File" it saves as an html document but it doesn't work on other people's computers. I've tried everything - saving to different places on my computer, doing it from both the online version and the downloaded version - but nothing is working.

Comments

• Define "doesn't work". Does it fail to work at all? Does it work, generally, but the media (e.g. images) you're using in it does not? Et cetera.

You've never saved it to your Documents/Twine/Stories directory, I hope. That's your story data directory, never publish to that directory.
  • As in it fails to work at all. How do I not save to the story data directory? When I click Publish to File, it automatically takes me there. I've tried saving to other places on my computer, but it always has the same result.
  • edited May 2016
    What OS are you using? Are you using the executable or browser-based version of Twine 2? If using the browser-based version, which browser are you using it in?

If you're using the executable version, then the save as dialog should not have defaulted to your Documents/Twine/Stories directory. Even if it is for some reason, it's a standard save as dialog for your OS, so simply choose some other directory within which to save the file.

If you're using the browser-based version, then the save dialog should default to saving the file into your browser's default save location—usually, your OS' downloads directory, if it has one setup. Check your browser's options to see where that is.
  • edited May 2016
    Are you saying that the file does not load on other people's twine page?

The file is just information not a stand alone file. it will not work in a browser alone it has to use the Twine engine to work.

you have to turn it into an Ebook if you want it to be a stand alone working story
  • 20GT wrote: »
    Are you saying that the file does not load on other people's twine page?

The file is just information not a stand alone file. it will not work in a browser alone it has to use the Twine engine to work.

you have to turn it into an Ebook if you want it to be a stand alone working story
    The above is not exactly correct.

All the Twine 2 Story Projects that you see within the application's Stories list are stored locally on your machine (exactly where depends on what release type you are using) and not on the Twine web-server, because of this your Story projects will never automatically appear in someone else's Stories list.

There is no such thing as the "Twine engine", there is how ever Story Formats and each of these define what core features are available to an Author that uses it.

Each of the different Story Formats are a mini web-application that knows how to process the contents of a Story Project, when you use the Publish to File option to create a Story HTML file the Twine 2 application combines the selected Story Format and your Story Project's data together to produce the Story HTML file which only needs a web-browser to run, it does not need to be converted into an EBook.
  • sorry I was completely wrong. It only looked bad in my editor. once I actually uploaded it and viewed it In a browser it worked without the engine.

so I have no idea why yours is not working