Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Harlowe] Is it possible to modify history manually?

After reading this thread I thought that maybe there is some way of accessing Harlowe's history manually and writing it, using Javascript, if the History is some kind of Javascript variable.

Would that be possible? I basically want to delete history as the player goes: there is no back button in my game, so only the current state of variables is needed, and my game is big and could run into problems with LocalStorage.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited May 2016
    That linked thread was about how to get the present value of a variable, which is only loosely related to Harlowe's timeline/history sub-system.

Short answer: No.
    Long answer: Maybe, but I would not recommend it.

Harlowe does not have a built-in option for turning it's timeline/history sub-system off, so even if it is possible to do what you want you would have to do it every time the Reader navigates between passages. SugarCube is the only Story Format that I know of that has built-in support for limiting History to the current moment.

• Well, doing it in every passage is no problem at all, since my game already does like 100 lines of code in every passage. :) But if it's complicated or problematic, it's okay. I'm still not sure when I will start having problems with LocalStorage, and there are a couple of ways I can reduce savegame size, at the expense of performance.