Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I recover a story?

Recently I tried to access my story on version 2.0.11 on a browser. When I got their it was deleted. I didn't have it archived though. Why did this happen and how can I recover it?

Comments

• edited May 2016
    The hosted release of Twine 2 accessed via the Use it online link on the main web-page stores your Story Projects locally within your web-browser's LocalStorage cache.

This means that you cannot access your Story Projects using a different brand of web-browser on the same machine, or using any web-browser on a different machine.

If you are using the same web-browser on the same machine and still cant see your Story Projects then it is possible that you (or something) has flushed your web-browser's LocalStorage cache which means that the projects are gone for good.

This can happen if you Clear Browser Data (or whatever your brand of web-browser calls it) and have the wrong option(s) selected.

This is one reason why doing backups using the Archive option is important
  • Thank you greyelf! Sadly you confirmed my suspicions.
  • It's also a really good reason to stick with 1.4.2...
  • mykael wrote: »
    It's also a really good reason to stick with 1.4.2...
    Making backups is a good idea even if you are using the Twine 1.x application, which saves your Story Projects as TWS files on your local hard-drive.

The installable release of the Twine 2.x application saves your Story Projects as HTML files on your local hard-drive, so in that respect it is no different than Twine 1.x
  • As far as I can tell - and I may be missing something - 'Publish to File' in Twine 2 works exactly like saving a file in Twine 1 or any other program. I just treat that as my 'save' option, knowing that the html file output can be easily reimported into any version of Twine 2 later.
  • Focksbot wrote: »
    As far as I can tell - and I may be missing something
    One small but important difference between the Story HTML file generated by Twine 2's Publish to File option and the Story Project file used by Twine 1 (TWS) and the installable Twine 2 (HTML) applications is that the Story Project file basically contain only the Passage data of your Story (**) but the Story HTML file is a copy of the selected Story Format's web-app engine with the Story's Passage data embed within it.

** They also contain some meta/structural data used by the T1/T2 applications.