Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

please help me make a functioning cycling link!!

i'm an absolute know-nothing when it comes to coding. all i know how to do is make things bold and italic and change the font size/colour. i've tried reading previously posted answers to this question on these forums, but the askers inevitably had much more background knowledge than I do, and I couldn't make heads or tails of any of it.
what i'm trying to do is to make a passage where the player can cycle through a few different choices for their character's appearance, without the link taking them to a new passage. if possible, i'd like those various options to lead to different outcomes in the game.
what would really really help me would be if there is a way to copy and paste a generic code for such a thing? and letting me know precisely what parts to change in order to customize it?

sorry for my complete and utter inadequacy!! this is literally my first ever venture into coding and im a bit ..completely confused

thank you !!!!!!

Comments

• You need to state which Story Format you are using when you ask a question, as answers can be different for each one. I am going to assume you are using Harlowe.

If you have read the other Harlowe cycling link related threads then you will know that Harlowe does not have this feature built-in, and that some people use the solution from the FurkleIndustries website

The instructions on the website are fairly straight forward, but basically:

1. Copy the code from the Insert into passage: example into your passage.

1a. The $myVar variable is used to store the default value as well as the current value being shown by the link. If you want to change the name of the variable used then you will need to also change it everywhere it appears within that code. eg. in three places.

b. The data-cycling-texts attribute stores the array/list of possible choices (eg. ["One", "Two", "Three"] ) that will be cycled through, modify that array to include your own values.

2. Copy the code from the Insert into Story JavaScript (minified): example into your Story Javascript area.

This area is accessed via the Edit Story Javascript menu option, which in turn is accessed via clicking on the upwards pointing Blue Triangle near the bottom left corner of the Passage Map screen.
  • Thank you so much!! Yeah I think I am using Harlowe, I wasn't aware of that at first oops!