Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stylesheet and Passages

edited May 2016 in Help! with 2.0
Greetings
I am rather lost as to where find information I require and I did not find it despite my searches. Therefore I am asking here and if(questionHasBeenAnsweredBefore = 1) or (didntSearchProperly=1) I apologize profusely.

I have little experience with coding, and I like to follow up on examples and tutorials. Here's what I want to do:

I'm using Twine 2.0, with SugarCube, and what seems to be the built-in stylesheet "ui-bar.css". By that I mean I loaded up Twine, selected SugarCube, and under Edit Story Stylesheet copypasted the entirety of ui-bar.css that is linked in the SugarCube reference.

What I have in mind, is displaying ingame variables inside the sidebar of SugarCube. Trouble is, I've no clue how to do that.
I already figure stats and level up menu, inventory system, turn based combat, and other simple RPG things like that to be done in looped passages. What I'd like to do is, besides the SAVES and RESTART buttons, to have also links to those passages, as per Inventory, Stats, etc. But most importantly - display of the variables, such as HP, maxHP, experience points, money, whatever. No graphics, just "variableName = $var" or something.

Here's what I see in my head when I say that:
bU9qqum.jpg

How do I do that? Any help or link to a tutorial is helpful, those I found didn't help me much.

Best Regards.

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Damn, I saw some references to story caption before but had no luck copypasting it and seeing results. I shall read the doc and ponder. Thanks for your reply!

Edit2:
    ...okay, I just created a passage, named it StoryCaption, and text began showing up.
    Also with
    #story-caption {
    position: fixed;
    bottom: 0;
    left: 0;
    }
    I made a first step in making it from the bottom. Adjustments remain.

Last thing I need advice with is making buttons. It's likely I'll figure it out myself, but in any case I'd appreciate hints.
  • Assuming you mean menu links in the vein of Saves and Restart. Try placing link markup, one per line, within the StoryMenu special passage. Alternatively, you might wish to use <<click>> macros, if you need the menu links to have more functionality than setter links provide.
  • edited May 2016
    I thank you, I shall try.
    Edit:
    Yup, worked perfectly. I'll need to think how to reverse the order yet again, but nevertheless it works. Thanks once again.