Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is multiplayer at all possible in Twine?

To be more specific, all I would really need is a way for several people playing the same game to connect with each other in groups and for the people within such a group to share a common variable pool - that is, if one of their games sets a variable to a specific value I want that same variable in the other players' games to be set to the same value, as well. The rest I could easily do with some creative uses of those variables.
So, is there any way to accomplish this? Maybe some html workaround or something? I have a few really cool ideas I could do if I could just get several players to share the same variables...
I doubt this is all that relevant to my question, but I'm using Harlowe (though I'd be willing to use a different format if that's what it takes).

Comments

• None of the Story Formats that I know of have a built-in ability to communicate with a server.

A solution would need to consist of two parts:

1. Client Code: Used by your story to communicate with a server, to login the user, to send and receive data about the current state of story variables.

2. Server Application: Used to handle communication with all current instances of your story, to handle authentication of each user and which group they belong to, to handle storage of each user's / group's variable data.

Neither of the above are trivial to create.
  • Yeah, that's what I figured... Too bad, just think of the possibilities...
  • This has been done, but it's not super easy to set up. Take a look at spool, which was used in a game called Naked Shades.
  • klembot wrote: »
    This has been done, but it's not super easy to set up. Take a look at spool, which was used in a game called Naked Shades.

Didn't see this until recently, but I still wanted to say thank you. I have the link bookmarked and once I've finished my current project I'll definitely try messing around with that. I have some ideas that I'd really love to make work. Don't know if I can actually do it, but I'll try so seriously thank you for pointing me in the right direction :)