Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help restore or save passage?!?

Is there someway to restore or get back a passage?

Also does is the search prompt able to delete passages?

I had used the search prompt to find a certain passage. Then after working on that passage and others I notice that the passage was marked in yellow. I quickly realize it was because the search prompt still had the search words in it. So I marked the words in the prompt (at least I think I did), pressed delete on my computer and the yellow marked passaged dissapeared but not the words in the search prompt.

So either I somehow accidentally deleted a passage I wasn't even working on or you can delete stuff from the search prompt without any warning?

So I'm wondering what the hell happened and how do I save my work?

Comments

• Unfortunately you have found a bug in the current version of the Twine 2 application, and you should create a new issue on the Twine 2 project website explaining what happend.

If you have a passage selected (via clicking on it) when you use the Delete key to delete the contents of the Quick Find field then that passage will also be deleted alone with the contents of the Quick Find field.

If you have multiple passages selected (via clicking on them) when doing the above you will be asked if you want to delete the passages, but unfortunately you don't get asked the same question when only a single passage is selected.

There are two ways you could potentially recover the deleted passage:

1. Import a Story HTML file you created previously using the Publish to File option that contained that missing passage.

2. Import an Archive HTML file you created previously using the Archive option that contained that missing passage. The Archive option is what you should be using to backup your Story Projects, especially if you are using the hosted/on-line release of Twine 2.

If you don't have one of the above files then there is no way to recover the missing passage because Twine 2 automatically saves your Story Project as you edit it and the application does not support Journaling (the tracking of changes).
  • edited June 2016
    That really sucks.
    Why is there no warning on the deleting a single passage when there are a warning for deleting multiple passages?
    You'd think it would be simpler just to code the warning for deleting a single passage since that would cover all the bases.

I would love to open an issue but I honestly don't know what happened.
    I don't think I had the passage selected because it wasn't the last one I had been working on.
    All I did was double click in the search promt to select the words and press delete.

I'm using the app and it doesn't seem to have an archive button.
  • Chryckan wrote: »
    I would love to open an issue but I honestly don't know what happened.
    I believe I have explained how the bug occurred, so you could use my description as a starting point of your own description. The reason I suggest that you create the issue instead of myself is because the developers may want to ask further questions about the issue.

I was not able to reproduce the error if no passage was selected (via clicking on it), and I tried both single and double clicking on the text within the Quick Find field before using the Delete key.
    Chryckan wrote: »
    I'm using the app and it doesn't seem to have an archive button.
    The Archive option is found on the right side-bar of the Stories screen, this is because the archive HTML file it creates contains all your Story Projects.
  • Thanks found the button now.

A bit weird to be saving all stories at once instead the one you are working on.

As for the bug maybe I just screwed up and thought I clicked in the field before deleting the passage.

Still, any idea how soon an warning for deleting passages might be implemented?
  • Chryckan wrote: »
    A bit weird to be saving all stories at once instead the one you are working on.
    The Archive option is used to create a backup of your stories, not to save one or more of your stories.

If you want to create a "backup" of a single Story then you could use the Publish to File option to do this, but that is not really a "backup" as such because the HTML file that option creates contains the Story Format's engine code as well as a copy of your Story Project's data.