Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

display and previous interaction in SugarCube

Hi,

I'm using default Sugarcube install in Twine 2. I have a passage that is intended to be only accessed as part of other passages (it gives custom descriptions which I'll want to add as a snippet in a number of different places) so is accessed, currently, using the <<display "Description Passage">> command.

As part of that, I'd like it to grab a variable from another passage which gives yet another part of a description. A schematic would look like (ignore the missing <<nobr>>s: lazy):

Story Passage
You see something, it's a <<display "Description">> something.

Description
<<goto "Size Description">>
<<set $description to "relatively">>
<<set $description += $size>>
<<print $description>>
<<goto previous()>>

Size Description
<<if $thingSize = 0>>
<<set $size to "small">>
<<else>>
<<set $size to "big">>
<</if>>
<<goto previous()>>

However, when I run that I get:
Error: <<goto>>: passage "previous()" does not exist

My code's working - if I call Size Description from Story Passage it works fine. I'm assuming that the issue is that the <<display>> command isn't working alongside previous() - for instance passages accessed through <<display>> don't correctly set up their name or the purposes of previous().

1) Am I correct in identifying the error and
2) Is there a work around for this? I'd sooner not change the structure of the code too much as I need both Size Description and Description functioning as they are.

Hopefully the question makes sense! Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Please use the C button on the comment field's toolbar to wrap your code examples within a code tag, it makes them easier to find/read.

First to clear up a couple of misconceptions you may have.

1. The <<display>> macro basically embeds the content of the Other passage into the Current one, it does not navigate the Reader to that Other passage so there is no need for a <<goto>> macro to return them to the Current one.

2. A single equals sign = operator is use to assign a value to a variable, you need to use the double (or triple) equals sign == (===) operator when comparing two values within an <<if>> like macro. I suggest you start using the to and is operators instead.
    <<set $variable = "value">>
    <<set $variable to "value">>

<<if $variable == "value">>
    <<if $variable is "value">>

You can use the <<display>> macro to process a passage that contains only logic, like your Size Description passage.

The following are modified versions of your Description and Size Description passages.

a. Description
    <<silently>>
    <<display "Size Description">>
    <<set $description to "relatively ">>
    <</silently>>\
    <<print $description>>

b. Size Description
    <<if $thingSize is 0>>
    	<<set $size to "small">>
    <<else>>
    	<<set $size to "big">>
    <</if>>

note: You can use TWEE notation if you need to include more than a single passage in an example.
    :: Story Passage
    You see something, it's a <<display "Description">> something.

:: Description
    <<silently>>
    <<display "Size Description">>
    <<set $description to "relatively ">>
    <</silently>>\
    <<print $description>>

:: Size Description
    <<if $thingSize is 0>>
    	<<set $size to "small">>
    <<else>>
    	<<set $size to "big">>