Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(goto:) and (link-goto:) not work with Harlowe 1.2.2

Hi, I'm new with this tool. Recently got a problem with GOTO in Harlowe.
I expected to have readers redirected to another passage with a given string as valid passage title. However, I always encountered the error 'I can't (go-to:) the passage 'A' because it doesn't exist.' Oh guys, I was really sure the target passage title did exist in the same story.

easy code as below:
(link-goto: "go", "A")
(go-to: "A")

Twine 2.0.11. Tried both web and client, neither can work.
But curious it works with this pattern
[[blabla-> A]]

Anything I was missing? Any suggestions here?

Comments

• When you use the double square bracketed link markup in Twine 2 (in any story format), Twine 2's automatic passage creation code treats all characters as significant, even preceding and succeeding whitespace. Bizarre, but there you have it.

The point being that if you let Twine 2 automatically create the passage for you via the double square bracketed link markup you've shown above, then the passage is named " A" (note the space before the "A") and not "A". That would be why your macros aren't working, you're supplying a nonexistent passage name.

The usual advice is to never put extraneous whitespace within the double square bracketed link markup.

To remedy the situation, I'd suggest editing the name of the " A" passage to remove the space thus changing it to simply "A". Twine 2 should automatically correct all of the existing double square bracketed links which reference " A" for you when you do.
  • When you use the double square bracketed link markup in Twine 2 (in any story format), Twine 2's automatic passage creation code treats all characters as significant, even preceding and succeeding whitespace. Bizarre, but there you have it.

The point being that if you let Twine 2 automatically create the passage for you via the double square bracketed link markup you've shown above, then the passage is named " A" (note the space before the "A") and not "A". That would be why your macros aren't working, you're supplying a nonexistent passage name.

The usual advice is to never put extraneous whitespace within the double square bracketed link markup.

To remedy the situation, I'd suggest editing the name of the " A" passage to remove the space thus changing it to simply "A". Twine 2 should automatically correct all of the existing double square bracketed links which reference " A" for you when you do.

wooooow, what a cool answer! It turned to work after I removed the whitespace preceding the passage name. (actually leaving whitespaces around any codes comes from the daily habit:) ) BIG THANKS !!!